Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sholder killing me

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kserg, Apr 10, 2004.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Ok... my bass is on a bit heavy side (not really but after few hours... you know)
    i am just wounding... how do you guys deal with sholder hurting after 2-3 hours of playing... does the gell strip/strap works?

Cheers
    Serg

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A wider (3+ inches) strap is more helpful than padding IME.

3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I second that.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I find that it doesn't have so much to do with the weight of the bass as it is the balance. Most basses are neck heavy, and that can be tough on your shoulder. My previous bass wasn't much heavier than what I am using now, but my new headless bass balances much better and my shoulder doesn't hurt at all.

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Well switching the bass is not in the plans:] but thanks... maybe that is the case with dean:/

But ya... i will try the wider strip:]]] thank you... btw so does gel work any or not really and is useless... or is just less of help them wider strip?

Tank you all
    Cheers:]

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, I guess you could always cut the headstock off your existing bass.

In addition to the wider strap, perhaps it would help to add weight to the body side, to balance everything out.

7. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I had some shoulder problems when I bought a bass that was on the heavier side. I bought one of these planet waves straps that had a pad built in to it and it helped a lot.