1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shonna Tucker's bass?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by So Low Bass, Nov 13, 2010.

1. I caught Drive By Truckers last night on Artists Den. I really enjoyed Shonna Tucker (the Trucker's Tucker). What's up with her bass? It looks like a right handed P with a left handed neck.

2. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Its a reverse headstock. Im sure Fender CS would make one for you for $4000

3. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    they are suppose to have tighter bass response that way.

4. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Yep, kinda the Jimmy Hendrix sorta thing.

Big DBT fan here. They put on one helluva show.

There's some pretty good shots of her bass in this video, Sweet Soul Cookin' With Shonna Tucker. Shonna's awesome.

5. Great video, thanks for turning us onto it. I'll be rubbin' fried chicken on all my strings from now on.

6. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    she had a pretty cool first act bass too.

7. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
  8. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    Than dang Shonna turns me on! Whew!

9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    +1, they're great. I saw them again (5th time) last month, it looks like she's switched to a black Geddy with a tort guard. You can see it in this clip for a song off their next album.
    http://vimeo.com/16259405

10. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I'm sure it helps with the tension since they play so much in drop-d. Great band and I sure miss seeing them often since I left the South. Those folks need to come out West sometime.

11. baxendaleguitar

baxendaleguitar Commercial User

Jan 2, 2011
    Athens, Ga.
    owner, scott baxendale
    The P-Bass, Shonna uses, with the reverse headstock was a "Prototype" for a limited run of "Hendrix" inspired basses. Fender never put this into production and hers is one of only two or three made according to what I have heard. This is the same bass she puts chicken grease on in the video. She doesn't use the reverse headstock for any specific reason to the sound, it is just that way. I don't notice any difference in the string tension verses a normal headstock, so it is just cosemetic.

By the way, the chicken grease, is to take off the brightness of new strings. This is something that James Jameson, Duck Dunn, and others from that era would do when they had to replace a string(s) in order to maintain the "dead" flatwound tone. I always thought it would be fun to film it in the context of a cooking show.

Recently. Shonna used my personal Geddy Lee Jazz bass in an attempt to help with her sound on stage. She has used Jazz basses in recordings for years. Fender has since given her a Jazz bass, so I have mine back in my studio. I will be building her a custom Baxendale bass this year along with one for David Hood, and they will be jazz bass inspired, only the bodies will be chambered

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I am a big fan and I saw them twice last year. She had the Fender the first tour and to my surprise the Geddy the second and never picked up the P. I love that P bass and we got to meet and chat after the show. She said then she was foolin around with the jazz to see if she liked it live and still loved her old P. She is a real nice lady and a sweetheart.Most of the band were all really nice guys.

13. Umm....if it was ANYone but her in that vid, they would be railed beyond belief for rubbing a chicken leg on their bass.

Seriously........that was pathetic.
    Do what ever you want to your bass, fine. But if it was some random person doing that.....

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    no, actually most wouldn't, because it's a well known fact that grease will deaden a set of strings right quickly. and if that's the sound you're into and you have a new set of strings on your bass, that's a very efficient way to kill them. not everyone wants bright piano-like tones.

15. Sorry Jimmy, I may agree with you about how to dull strings, I highly doubt that anyone with any common sense would rub a chicken leg on their bass. Let alone let it be someone who isn't in a band with a slight bit of popularity, they would be hacked to pieces.

Seriously....rub a piece of chicken on you bass.......:rollno:

Again, do what ever you want to your bass, I don't care. Its funny how a bit of fame can exempt you from being stupid.

Oh, sorry, IMO......

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    jaco used to put chicken grease on his fingers. what's the difference? you can wipe the chicken grease off. and people rub way worse than that on their basses in the course of an evening. i've had more putrid substances on my bass than i care to admit.

17. Oh yeah....now that you mention it, I've had body parts rubbed on my bass as well.......disregard my previous comments...;)

18. perkidan

perkidan

Sep 13, 2000
    Augusta, ky
    Kittens, by the way, will not deaden your strings near as well as an Aardvark.

19. I did hear that Ring Tailed Lemur works pretty well........

20. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    The video wasn't to be taken seriously..she was having fun with the old chicken and strings thing..that's all.