Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ok...I'm getting a new amp first (Carvin RL180 Bass System) and now...a cursed thought in my head! I was sure I wanted a Warmoth bass (still do...) and now I'm wondering, should I get this Warmoth 5er, or a Sixer (Ibanez SR406 or something of that ilk) or a 7 (Conklin GT7)....I want the Warmoth, but it'll be mucho grande deniro, and a sixer is much cheaper, and I want one anyway...and if I'm gonna get a six, might as well get seven, right? Arg...little help here?
  2. Dude, you sound real indecided, just think about it, it will come to you eventually.

But I love your reasoning on the why to get a 7 string logic
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX do I:D I wanted one for about three months, and then somehow figured against it. But then I wanted a Six, and me, being Ovekills little monkey, figures I might as well get a seven, and save myself a sixer...I know I'm gonna get if only I could brave fretless!
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Why does that post not surprise me JT?:D:D
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    JJust buy a high quality used 5, instead of the warmoth. I see moduli on the internet for around $1200 all the time, and even Roscoes for about $1300. Just keep your eyes open, and save up a bit more. I personally abhor the GT7 tone and feel. The purpleheart board and fretwire ruin it, IMO. Just look into good quality used stuff.

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have been looking for an "affordable" 6-string for quite a while, but I haven't found anything that I liked for less than $1G.

As a part of my search, I have e-mailed Bill Conklin and Michael Tobias (via their websites), and both Conklin and Tobias have replied telling me that they will be adding 6-string basses to their non-US production lines. Hopefully this means a Conklin GT-6, and Grendle, Beast, and/or Kingston 6-strings from MTD (Tobias).

Wishful thinking has me hoping that 6'rs from Conklin and MTD will pop up at the 2001 Summer NAMM show.

BTW, if you like Ibanez, consider a BTB406QM over a SR406. IMO, it's a far better bass for a little more money.
  8. Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    I went 5 for the string spacing... more food for thought
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This shouldn't be an issue. Good multistrings (5,6,7) have at least Fender Jazz bass string spacing.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Brendan, here's another vote for the Ibanez BTB406 if you decide on a 6 stringer. It blows the Soundgear 6 out of the water. Heck, it's better than some 6's that cost $300 or $400 more. Awesome B string.

Sammy, the aforementioned BTB406 has 3/4" string spacing, which is as wide as you can get on any production 5 string. To get wider spacing than that, you would have to order a custom bass. But I do agree that a lot of 6 stringers(Ibanez Soundgear, Yamaha John Myung signature, Dean) have unbearably tight spacing.
  11. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    .. go for the best bass you can afford - maybe ask Dave Pushic (

I would say go for the five. Just because I think that if you play a four now, the stpe to the six or the seven might be to huge for you. Look at my profile, I´m a pure fourstring player. Just because I play not metal anymore, just pure Rock and Funk. Why should I consider a five?

First think about the whole thing: Do you really need the fifth or the sixt or the seventh string ?

I mean, for example the seven stringer. The seventh string is low F#. What do I think about it? Thats no tone anymore!
    Then go to the six. Your profile says you play Rock / Punk Fusion. Do you think you need a high C ? Do you play many solos?

I don`t believe that.

Just go for a four or a good five, but first play a five for a while. And if you feel like you can play as good as you play on a four, go with it.

Well I´m a four-string junkie, I don´t need the Low B.

Just play a couple of basses and then be true to yourself and decide...

And - just my opinion - I think the Conklin 7`s look ... somehow... dumb..

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Uh-oh....this gonna get messy.
  13. embellisher

Aight, everbody, grab yer asbestos underwear!!!
  14. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
  15. Well, on most 7's I've heard about, the 7th string is a high F. Some guys use a low F#. I think the high F is debatable.. I mean, it's basically dental floss.. but I can see a whole lot more point to it than a low F#.
    I play rock too, but I've been considering getting a bass with a high C string, because some of my parts go above the 12th fret on the G, and I like to throw in double stops way up there, too. Having a C string would enable me to play those parts closer to the middle of the neck, if I wanted to. The idea that a high C string is only for solos is not accurate, IMO.
    As far as Conklin 7s, maybe you're talking about the Groove Tools. I've seen and played John Turner's custom 7s, and besides being far from dumb-looking, they play incredibly easy for a 7.. more playable for my hands than a lot of 5-strings I've tried.
  16. SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    I saw at an on-line store somewhere a Bill Dickey Conklin 7, used but great shape, for like $750. If I hadn't just put 2 g's into my car, I'd be all over it.
  17. Hey! You can't do that!! Where is it online? Where, where, where??
  18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMO, you should base your decision on what your needs and desires for your playing are and does only a "more-than'four" enable you to meet those musical needs and desires. EX., I went to a five because even a Drop D'd four string couldn't achieve the huge depth I heard in my head.

If you're considering a 6 or a 7 just because you think it makes you look cool or in the hope that people will think you are an awesome bassist, you're better off putting it towards a Dodge Viper, an Armani suit, or something like that.
  19. SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    Dave, yep, driving me crazy since I can't remember where it was. I'll do another of my unique 'net searches and let you know. The picture of it was stunning...
  20. embellisher

BD 7 for $750?!?!?!?!?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Find it! Find it!

If Dave doesn't buy it, I will!