1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shooting from the hip

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by FretGrinder, Mar 8, 2001.

1. Anyone out there with a hipshot managed to tune down to D and back up WHILE PLAYING, and use it as a useful technique in a bassline?

Just an idea ...

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I never did that at a gig. The times I tried it at home just fooling around, I discovered that the E-string had changed its intonation slightly. That's why I didn't try it at gigs. So if I went to D, I stayed there until the end of the song when I could do a quick retune. But this was all in home practice, anyway.

However, I have to confess, as it turned out I didn't use the Hip Shot much, as the bands I was in down tuned anyway. And then once I bought a five string, I didn't need it either.

My HipShot D-Tuner came factory installed on my Yamaha Attitude Limited four string bass. It is a copy of Billy Sheehan's bass, but as it turned out, though I bought it because I admired Sheehan's playing, I never played like him anyway and that bass is beautiful, but it wasn't the bass I needed for the music I played or the way I play.

JO

3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have a hip shot on the E string of my electric and just installed 2 hipshots on my ABG. Yes, I frequently use the hipshot to tune down (or up) during a performance. Got the idea watching Michael Manring.
    Two things: When you set your hipshot, tune the bass up to E, then flip the 'shot....then flip it back. You will find that the E string is now sharp. Compensate and tune it that much flat. Flip the Hipshot again, and then flip it back to "normal" tuning. Now notice the E string is in tune....and it will stay that way no matter how many times you switch the hipshot.
    There is a thumbscrew on the hipshot that allows you to set the pitch of your detuned note. I have dropped all the way to B...but usually use a C on my E string (or D). On my ABG the 2nd hipshot is on the G string. I sometimes set them up backwards...so that with the switch "down" (normally detuned) it is standard pitch, and then flipping it raises the pitch. I also use a CDGA tuning quite a bit, and then change that during a performance...
    Also....lubricate the little moving arm/plate on the hipshot with a dab of vaseline once a month or so....it will keep the mechanism from getting sticky and will insure smooth tuning transitions.
    BTW....flipping the hipshot during a performance: sometimes the thing does and will make a percussive "thud" which can be amplified by th pickups (esp. with piezos)....the trick is to make the switches in time so that becomes a rhythmic part of the performance....
    Max

4. great advice, thanks Max. Does dropping the E to B still give you a playable amount of tension? I've never really tried below D.

5. I sometimes end songs in D by flipping the Hipshot lever right at the end build up to finish on the open D. I've never really had problems with the tuning - I tune up during the break in a covers gig anyway, so I don't notice any change.

Billy Sheehan uses the Hipshot in his solos- running down the E string and then dropping the lever.

6. I tune mine to C... I've seen this guy that tunes his to C and he switched it in the middle of a song. He was slapping in open E, and then for the chorus, he'd flip it to C and tap high notes while pedaling the C...Kinda different...