Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shooting LH pain

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Dave Hull, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Dave Hull

Dave Hull

Aug 3, 2005
    I play an average amount, and I've been experiencing a sudden shooting pain in my left hand from my ring and pinky fingers to my wrist. :bawl: After just a couple of seconds I can resume with caution, but it keeps me from building up speed and independence of those two fingers. My hands are small, but I experience nothing like this in any other activity, i.e. playing piano or typing. Am I squeezing too tightly, or is it my playing position? Anybody know what I'm talking about? :confused:

2. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    thats not good man. see a docter. it probably your position also make sure your isn't straped to low or two high for your hands.

3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I asked my doctor about some of the wrist pains I was having and he recomended some remedies and showed me several stretches. That seemed to do the trick. Do not ignore the pain, if it persists, see a doctor.

4. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I get the same thing. I am 90% sure it's from having small hands. Because I do, and when I play the violin and guitar it's fine.. but the bass is a pain sometimes. I will sound likea hypocrit but I agree with everybody else when they say go to the doctor. Even though I play through the pain, it does kinda hurt. Mine goes along the side of my left hand. right down next to the pinky to the wrist.
    THe bass strings are harder to press down then violin or guitar, and with small hands it's even that much harder for us.

5. Dave Hull

Dave Hull

Aug 3, 2005
    Thanks for the replies. I know it's good advice to ask a doctor, so I'll check it out. Small hands suck, but whattayagonnado, stop playing?! Pshhh!

Thanks again, Dave

6. Definitely doctor -

But I was playing 4 nights a week for a while, and had the same kind of thing - small hands too - but standing for 4 hours a night with a 9 pound bass sitting on your shoulder isn't good for anything in your left arm. A too thin strap could be sitting on a nerve, which just happens to end up in your ring finger.

Thicker strap? Padding? Shoulder cramping? Don't just limit the examination to your fingers/hand/wrist.

7. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I dont think it's because of small hands, if so your hands must be so small that you have to stretch your fingers even when your playing 1-finger per...

i think it's more a technique issue.

8. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    You absolutely need to get an experienced BASS teacher that can analyze and correct your technique. If you try to play through this kind of pain, you could do permanent damage before too long.

Also, as advised, seeing a dr., learning some stretches, etc. should help.

The most important thing, though, is don't just mask the pain with antiinflammatories. That is a short term solution. You need to correct your technique or you will hurt yourself badly enough that you will not be able to play bass anymore (and possibly worse).