Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shootout results: Dr. Bass vs Aguilar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Emprov, May 19, 2004.

1. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Posted this on HCBF and thought that you guys would be interested in seeing it to.

I feel like I've been so dreading writing this thing tough, tough comparison. Here it is anyway.

I've been comparing these things for the better part of an hour now and I've come to the conclusion that, overall, neither is signifiantly better or worse, just different. I've played through both brands using my Lakland 55-94, MIA Fender J, and Warwick Corvette Standard, powering them with both a GBE 500H and 400RB. The respective cabs are the Dr. Bass 2060 (12/6/horn) and 1080 (10/8/horn) and an Aguilar GS112.

Here's how I rank them 1. 2060, 2. GS112, 3. 1080. Here's why: all 3 cabs handled everything that I threw at them beautifully with the exception of when I cranked the bass on the 3-band eq on the Lakland up all the way. All three started to fall apart at almost exactly the same place. (this was with the bass also cranked on the 500H) Out of the 3, the Aggie was the boomiest but also the least punchy and had the lowest volume output out of the three. The Aggie also didn't have quite the same level of note definition (really getting picky on this one) or clarity. The Aggie was warmer, the Dr. Bass's provided less color and allowed the bass's personality to come through better (if that's what you're into). The Warwick sounded kind of thin through both Dr. Bass's (keep in mind though that I've lowered the pickup hight quite a bit on the Covette to improve note definition) and really sung through the Aggie. It still didn't have really deep bottom end but that's why I bought the Lakland. The Fender came to life through both Dr. Bass's though, truely an amazing sound. The Lakland, heck, that'd sound great through anything, kind like the Dr. Bass's though. All in all, I'll be sticking with the Dr. Bass. All three are great cabs but, in a shootout, you really have to compare the 1080 to the GS112. The Aggie just can't stand up to the 2060 because of pure volume and, I had a 2 spc rack built into the 2060 so my head fits right in -- way easier to carry than the GS112 and a separate head.

Again, it's really close but the 2060 wins merely because of pure volume. The tone on each of them comparatively is very subjective. Some are going to prefer the Aggie warmth, some the Dr. Bass punch and clarity. And, the only reason why I put the GS112 above the 1080 was because of the issues with the Corvette. I love that thing through the Aggie. I realize that this is less than scientific but feel free to PM or reply with anything else you'd like to hear or with questions. Again, all three are awsome, not really a better or worse tone, just different. I'll post some pics when I have the time.

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Oh, forgot to mention. I had the Deltas put into the cabs instead of Neo's. Marc and I talked for quite a while and we decided that the Delta's would be better for my uses. Marc's impressions were that he prefered the Delta in the cabs too after these things were built.

3. How's the B-string come through on the 2060? How do the horns all compare? Thanks for the review!

4. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    The B's really comparable on all three cabs. Again the only issues that I had with them was when I cranked up the bass on both the 3-band eq on the Lakland and the GBE, they all fell apart in about the same place. Aggie puts out a bit more low end, they all handle it roughly the same though.

5. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    How does the sprayed finish on the cab look? I've heard it's pretty nice, but haven't seen one. All I know is that I wouldn't like taking all the smoke & beer smell from gigs back to my house. Eden/SWR/etc...make nice stuff, but carpet sucks.

6. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Kind of shiny and bumpy. Definitely durable. Beer spills, nacho accident? No prob, wipe it off with a wet rag. I guess it's the same stuff that they're spraying on the newer truck beds, tough as nails.

7. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    Did you try the 2060 with the Aggie? I have the GS112 and am wondering if the low end of the Aggie would be complimented by the (I am assuming) brighter sound of the 2060.

8. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Are your Dr Bass cabs the birch plywood cabs ? Not too keen on the idea of 1/2" MDF cabs. They are thinner material and at the same time heavier ! However when you up grade to any Dr Bas cab in 3/4" birch it goes up substantially in price . To the point of being as much if not More than a used name brand ,well engineered cab. But to be fair the DrBass cabs may be well engineered too and the bottom line is sound so if it sounds as good and you have satisfaction of getting it brand new ,hey maybe it is better deal!
    But I don't find them to be in same price range as Avatar unless you compare the DRBass 1/2" MDF to Avatar 3/4" plywood but that's not a similar comparison. Two different animals due to materials.
    Now if you compare DrBass 3/4" ply to Avatar 3/4" ply then Avatar has big price advantage. Drbass is birch,don't know what type of ply Av is. That should be mentioned if that is a big difference to you.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Good points. And by way of comparison, Low Down Sound uses all birch plywood, with 3/4" for top, bottom, back and sides (I think 11 or 13 ply) and I believe they step up to 1" and more plys for the front baffle. Very nice workmanship, and very sturdy, rigid cabs.

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hmmm, very interesting stuff...

I've been bouncing around the idea of putting my first rack together, & DrBass, Avatar, & LDS were the 3 brands I was likely going to choose from... AND, because they're all "mail order" or "internet order" type businesses, you can't really go down to your local music shop to hear them...

I had seriously considered the DrBass cabs, & I KNEW the low end ones,,,were made from mdf... I never really thought to myself about it,,, that the other two brands were WOOD,, as opposed to mdf...

11. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Ya, the sound was less than complimentary. The Dr. Bass's were really made for each other. Individually, they sound pretty darn good. Together, wow!

12. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I had this concern as well. I'm an ex cabinet maker and, after listening to Marc talk about the construction, and considering that I really baby my gear, I felt ok going with the MDF. They're very sturdy cabs. And, I was looking at this as more of an experiemtal purchase than anything else -- I didn't want to commit a whole bunch of money to them if they weren't going to be all that good. I wasn't able to find anyone who had ever purchased them. I like them now and I may just order some BL's a bit down the road.

13. duncbass

duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    I didn't realize that some DrBass used mdf. I got the 1000watt 212 so, for $400, I thought that was a good deal. Certainly more affordable that two 112's.

14. plankspanker04

plankspanker04 Guest

May 6, 2004
    keller texas

i just ordered a 112 cab today from dr bass.i went over this with marc and i chose the mdf.he was under the opinion that mdf reflects sound while birch absorbs sound.this is an experiment for me as well as i need a small but loud cab.i have high hopes for this cab and i can tell you marc is a great guy to deal with.

15. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Good luck to ya. My cabs fell apart and I've blown two of my speakers out. :mad:

Kidding! :D

I've gigged with them twice so far and I could've sold them to another bass player at the first gig. I love feeling the punch on my back from these things when I'm standing about 10' away. Post a review when you get it and congrats!

16. plankspanker04

plankspanker04 Guest

May 6, 2004
    keller texas
    ill be sure to post when i get it.i have been talking to marc for a while-i think around the time he was making your cabs as he told me about you opted to not go with the neos.i chose to go with a 4ohm 112 with the mid driver for small to med gigs and if this cab sounds as good as i hope it will ill order a bigger cab for bigger gigs.im not one to want to lug multi cabs no matter how small.its hard to buy a cab without hearing it but marc was very helpful and assured me we will work together until we get it right.(one big plus working with a smaller company)all at a price way less that the epi i was going to buy.

i cant say enough about how great marc is to deal with.he always had time to take my call and in his words,"ill talk bass with anyone,anytime,anywhere".he really approaches this with alot of passion.there is other cab builders out there building great cabs,but i didnt talk to anyone that seemed as concerned about meeting my needs as he did.

im keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

17. Emprov
    You saw my post and foward it to HCBF. Thank you for doing that. Maybe you might want to post it on your shoot out.
    What I found fun was the remark some "gentleman" made about me being a "nugearity" or something to that nature. Believe me, after playing bass for 34 years, I don't hype gear!!! I keep experimenting with different types of heads and cabinets, until I find what works best for me and what sounds best to me. I like Ampeg amps, Dr Bass cabinets, and Ken Smith basses. Nothing against SWR, but in my comparison test, the Dr Bass cabinets sounded the best. I like the Dr Bass cabs for their sound, weight and size.
    I tried putting the two 1x15 cabs on top of the two 2x10s and got even more punch out of this rig.
    My picture is too large to post here, but I would gladly e-mail it to anyone who is interested in seeing my rig.
    In the future, I plan on purchasing a BL2060d 3u and maybe try a Thunderfunk head. Always liked the AMP420.
    Take care!!!
    Chuck

18. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003