Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shootout: Skyline 55-02 vs. Peavey Millennium Plus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by uglybassplayer, Jan 7, 2002.

1. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Up until this point, I had all but decided to start stashing some cash away towards a Tiger Eye Millennum Plus 4 string. Now with all the fuss about the Skyline series, I think I'll hold off on any purchase until I get a change to play one of the 4s when they come out. However, being that the Skyline 5s are already out....

Any of you guys who've already had the opportunity to check out the 55-01 & 55-02 (Woodchuck, Adrian, JPJ....), care to offer any comparisions or opinions on these vs. the Millenium basses?

Thanks,

- Frank.

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know if I've EVER played a Peavey, but they are a great value too...although Peavey is one of the LEAST respected brand names outside of gospel & kunt-rey circles. Also, I only played the Skyline fours...all of the assembled fives has been sold and shipped. Hopefully someone here has had more experience with Peavey basses who can help you out, although I think that you would be fine with either instrument. This one is probably going to come down to your own personal preference...as it always should. Good luck!

3. I've never played a Millenium, nor have a played a Skyline... but i have played a peavey Cirrus. I think that a Cirrus would be a better comparison against the Skyline due to simular price ranges. Isnt the Millenium at almost the bottom of the Peavey bass line? You're comparing "Natural Organic apples", to "no sunlight provided while being grown oranges."

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    At ~$700 a 55-01 is probably closer in price to the Millenium than the Cirrus 5 at ~$1100.

5. Ooops... Wasnt aware that the Millenium went for that much, for some reason i could have sworn that the Millenium went for $500... Also... i was thinking more in mind of the 55-02, which is quite simularly priced to a new Cirrus 5

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's true.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    A Tiger Eye Millenium Plus is in about the same ballpark as the Cirrus, last time I checked. That should put it pretty close in price to a 55-02.

8. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    First, I own a Cirrus fiver (Redwood top), so I'm very familiar with (and love) it. I have considered a Cirrus 4, but I'm interested in the MM/Jazz pickup configuration of the Milleniums/Laklands.

Second, while I'm on the subject of pickups... both the Millennniums and the 55-02 have a MM style pickup in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck, again I figured they were closer for a comparison rather than the Cirrus with it's dual humbucking pickup configuration.

Third, Since the Cirrus is a neck-thru, while both the Millennium & Laklands are bolt ons, I figured they were a closer comparison. In fact more than just a few have accused Peavey of "borrowing" the Lakland design for the Millenniums.

Finally, unless I'm mistaken, I believe the Millennium Plus five (which I believe has a retail of either $1599 or $1799 with the Tiger Eye/maple fingerboard) is roughly about the same price as a 55-02.

- Frank.