1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shop in New York

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by HotRoded, Feb 28, 2008.

1. HotRoded

HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Maryland
    There is a chance I'll be in NY / Manhattan this Saturday.

Does anybody know a double bass shop in the city?
    I google searched and found "Bruno Destrez Double Bass" in Greenwitch village already.

Thx.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Biase only does Saturdays by appointment but has some of best Basses you will find. Not much on the low end but if you just landed a Symphony job, then he's one place not to miss for that investment grade Bass.

3. Of course, there's David Gage.

4. HotRoded

HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Maryland
    Thx Ken and Kevin.

Let's try again, I am sure there are many other shops in NY. I plan to go this saturday, and most of the day will be for bass hunting.

My profile: long term musician, but beginner in double bass. Looking for my first double bass, preferably used. Budget $2000-3000.

If you know a shop you like, with knowledgeable people, I would appreciate your help.

Thx !

5. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Gage.

6. philip sirois

philip sirois

May 29, 2006
    NYC
    I am afraid there really aren't many shops in new york open on Saturday. Gage is open, and has quite a few instruments, but on Saturday youll probably need an appointment to check out basses. Others like bill merchant, who has a few basses, and ideal music(bassesonline.com) are not around.
    Most of these people, like the guy ken mentioned, are luthiers who sell some basses, rather than traditional stores where you can just wander in and noodle on the instruments. That's just the nature of the beast.

7. HotRoded

HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Maryland
    Gage is indeed open, an I made an appointment. That's necessary.
    Ideal music is normaly closed, but I should be able to see somebody.

That's all I have for now...