Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

[ shop lifting fines ]

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by .-.LeX.-., May 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alright, heres the story...

earlier today i was out shopping with my girlfriend in our local pathmark, we grabbed a 99 cent bottle of coke cause we were thirsty, we continued our shopping. I then placed the bottle down on a shelf to pick up some cases of soda of the floor, forgetting i had put the soda down, i had walked away..

then on my way out security grabbed me and pulled me over, gave me the whole sphell, ... kind of agravating, anyway to the point... i know there will be a fine, just curious to how great a fine could be for forgetting about a 99 cent bottle of soda.

( i live in NJ by the way.. )

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    You will probably just get a warning. Did you pay for it? If you did, they probably will not give a rats arse.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Marriage is the penalty for shoplifting in some countries.:D

4. Cmon we know u stole it.. cough up tight ***... :p

:D:D

Merls

odie:hint hint:(

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You gave them your real name and address!!???:meh:

6. i sometimes get a drink while shopping. i keep it in the cart so that i do not forget it. i almost did once and that really scared me. thank god the people in the store know me quite well. been shopping there for over 7 years. sigh pathmark, i miss going there. sigh. don't know the penalties, however, hopefully if you explain what happened, it will not be to bad. the problem is, is this, so often people do that on purpose, so when it is done by accident that person who did it by accident seems to pay the price of all the others. good luck.:(

7. haha that makes me laugh because me and my flatmate make a point of stealing as much food and drink as we can because the supermarket rips us off anyway. We haven't been caught in 2 years.

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    So that makes it allright then?

Smart, real smart!

9. well Mr Hvar,
    you may not think that this is smart but i have worked on farms and various other industrial properties. As a result of this i Know how much grain costs per tonne and i know the effort that goes into reaping a tonne of grain. As a result of this and the fact that I am aware of the fact that australia sells 1 tonne of coal for $50 To japan i am aware that I as australian am being ripped off and am hence not prepared to accept being ripped off in all sectors.

10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    That is still no excuse for stealing IMHO. These businesses are in this to make money, or else they would not be in business at all.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So - like Supermarkets don't have to pay their staff, they don't have to pay shipping costs, taxes, power, rents, shareholders ...?

What happens is that the cost of shop-lifted, stolen items goes on the total bill as well - so the rest of us are paying for thieves like codeine!! :mad:

12. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Word!

13. Well bruce although i ended up agreeeing with you when it came to the world cup in Zimbabwe I must say that you are way out of your depth here.

You have not lived here before ( that i am aware of ) so i really dont think yuo can comment. When you live in a country where 3 ppl have to pay $200 a week to cover their rent in a small townhouse in a city of 1.6 mill and pay $360 a fortnight for enough food not to induce the expression of tuberculosis then you can talk to me and then i will take the time to argue

14. thanks for all the intresting posts, but i havent really got an awnser yet.

i offered to pay for the soda, but he just gave me all this technical mombo-jumbo, and they never wound up taking money from me on the spot.

and yes i gave them my real adress, its kind of antimatating when you got 2 cops bustin your balls.

but back to the point, anybody give me an average of what a fine may cost... i've gotten some various anwnsers from some friends, one says it'll probably be like 20 bucks.... an another friend seemed kind of positive that it would be like 100 bucks.

15. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Look here... I for example know all about high cost of living.

Iceland is very expensive, I can for example buy a 1/2 of coca cola for 2$ (us dollars).

A McDonalds hamburger costs around 7$ (us).

This is just a small example. Despite of this, I don´t steal. If things are very expensive, there most probably is a good reason for it.

16. I don't either, but it does sometime feel like they're streching it a bit with these prices.

17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Ever think that just MAYBE these prices are inflated some to cover thefts?

I don't care how you try to justify it, any kind of theft is wrong....I hate thiefs!

18. What the heck is pathmark anyway?

19. Horses***. Grocery retail is one of the lowest-margin businesses, period--we're talking about the low single digits here. Shoplifting is a huge problem.

You're a little bitch, codeine. It's a good thing you're 15,000 km away so I can't kick you in the face.

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    * This is the un-diluted version of what I was saying.....my thoughts exactly.

I make more money than you.....would that make it alright for you to steal my gear? I hope you get caught, it's just a shame you don't live in a country that lops of hands for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.