Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shop Owners Read This!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hambone, Mar 29, 2004.

1. For you guys with small shops, I've found a neat addition to your plant that will help immensely with your work. Honest!

Sams Club is now selling packages of shock flooring. A package consists of (8) 2' x 2' squares that interlock with each other. Total cost is about $15 a pack. This flooring is like the foam flip-flops you wear at the beach. Very shock absorbent and a dream stand on for long hours. At this price, it's less than PT plywood covering the same area.

I've just installed this in all of the walking areas of my shop and it's made a big difference in my fatique level. It also helps with a neuroma I have on one of my feet that is being treated. Now, I can put in those full 12 hour weekend days in the shop and still feel human after.

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    We've got some stuff like that in parts of our auto shop. It's awesome.......like you're standing on a cloud. We've even found it to be fairly oil resistant, too.

3. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Thanks for the tip! I've been wanting to get some of this kind of stuff for a while now.

:^)~

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    How did you find these things, on Sam's web site? I couldn't find anything there. I've done some poking around on the web and all I could find were atheletic-type TKO mats, which are $20 per 16 sq. ft. pack.

5. My wife just found it in our local (Snellville, GA) store. She called me at work to see if I wanted some. This store also has it in colors for kids playrooms and such.

Maybe if I can find a wrapper and label, I can get back with the brand name and contact info.

6. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Nice job Ham. I'm a podiatrist by day. Shock absorption is one of the most under rated factors in today's concrete jungle when considering fatigue. Just be careful that it is securely adhered to the floor and the edges are graduated to the floor. You may trip over it and bang your head on a moving saw blade. I think I would rather have painful feet than that.

I deal with that all the time here in Florida. The water table is so high that there are no basements in South Florida. So the floors all have a concrete bass (pun intended) (misspelling intended). You should also consider working in a good supportive sneaker or a well cushioned work boot to absorb more shock.

As for the neuroma, PM me if it doesn't get better. There's a new surgical procedure that is taking the country by storm. A nice improvement over the traditional procedure done for the past God knows how many years.

Good luck.

Bob