Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

shop pics??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JSPguitars, May 17, 2004.

1. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I was checkin' out a thread about shop pics over at luthierforum.com and It occurred to me that I would REALLY like to see some of your guys' shops! My parents recently let me dedicate a corner and a half of their garage to my new-found passion/hobby, and I was so stoked to get my workbench set up. My dad helped me and I think he enjoyed it, because there's not much we can 'bond' over these days (I'm 27). I think they let me build it cuz otherwise they never get to see me. Now, however, I'm at my parent's house way more than any other 27-year-old probably is or should be. Once I can get hold of a digicam i'll take some pics, but I'd rather just look at your shops/dungeons/domains/lair's of meditational enjoyment or whatever else you might call it. I'm ready to drool, and I'm also lookin' for clues as to how to set up MY shop.
    let's see 'em!
    :hyper:

2. Well, it aint much, but it's the corner of my appartment that I've been using to build....

I've been doing all my non-gluing tasks at my college's theater shop. It's not much but they've got a table saw, bandsaw, miter saw, rad.arm saw, and a drill press. I take my router there too to keep my apt mostly sawdust free. :)

3. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    that's the cleanest shop I've ever seen!
    I like the lighting, too.
    Is that the wenge, purpleheart neck you've been talkin' bout?

Here's my bench.............aint much either........but it's enough. i also built a nice table and put some sweet casters on there so i can wheel it outside and make different colored woodchips for my parents side yard! You can see it in the second picture next to the workmate bench. gotta mount my router to the bottom on that table or do something cool with it, ......i got all the blue table-tops free from my mom's old wallpaper shop.

4. "Is that the wenge, purpleheart neck you've been talkin' bout?"

That's 4 of the 5 peices in glue... yeah it's 3 3/4" wenge pieces with 2 3/8" ph strips... I stole that from conkin just to be honest, it's what's on my prim. bass and I love the sound, feel, stiffness, weight and everything. Got the woods from Gallery Hardwoods; not cheap, but worth every penny, this wenge is incredible! Awesome grain. But I see I'm getting off topic :)

Oh yeah, here's some more picts of the neck in glue and my renderings of my wood combinations and headstock in case you're curious....
    http://www.siue.edu/~davwill/bass/bass.htm

5. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    ok.........let's see some real shops please....
    :crying:

6. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    for some reason my pics aren't there anymore....

7. They never were on this end....

8. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    heres were im working. its a nice sized shop in the corner of my basement. the workbench (with vice, but im gettin a new one from stewart macdonald) and all the pegboard was left here by the previous owners. we just recently moved in. and now im there almost 24/7.

[​IMG]

9. Here's my shop - outside and inside.

It's absolutely a pigsty right now - I've been in a whirlwind mode every night. No real desire or time to actually straighten up. :rolleyes:

I had it built last summer. 16 x 20 with added support for the foundation.

10. Nice! You're like the unibomber of lutherie! Seriously though I have.... shop... envy. right. :D

11. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    here's my "workbench" and the other corner of the garage i get to use.

12. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Here's my cozy little wood chip factory - 1/2 of a single-car garage.
    [​IMG]

13. schuyler

schuyler

Aug 5, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    i'm rather jealous... all i have is a screened porch. the tools live in a closet in my office. and when i have a glue-up to do, it's on the kitchen table. on the plus side, the ventilation is superb!

14. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I can see a new singlecut design in there...;)

got pics?

Peace,
    JP

15. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    hehe - I was waiting until it's a little further along to post it. I'm thinking of calling it the "Zia"... what do you think?

;) :D

Schuyler - believe me, I've done my share of kitchen-table glue-ups myself. Your results speak for themselves; you definitely make the most of what you have. I don't consider mine to be a complete shop by any means, especially when I go over to Darrin Huff's place and see his new setup! But it's taken me many years to build up to even this modest level of tooling...to do it all at once would be a certain wife-assisted suicide. ;)

Hambone - cool panorama. Is there a full-size version of the pic posted anywhere?

16. Nope, I don't have it larger - can someone host it for me?

It's also small so you don't see the copius quantities of spent wood on the floor, the general disarray of my bench (22' of bench for you dinner table artists) and the terrible condition of some of my older tools. :(

17. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    If you want, email it to tsbarber@juno.com and I'll put it up tonight.

18. My life goals are constantly changing more in the direction of attaining what you have Ken.... Awesome shop, not to mention phenominal basses!

19. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Here's one corner of my shop... The only one remotely clean enough to photograph when I had my camera down there last. Directly behind the camera is the spray booth/finish area and to the right of the frame is the sanding/routing/rough work area.