Shoppin' for keyboard!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tsal, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hey guys,

I guess there should be atleast few people here who own keyboards for composing work etc, so I'd appriciate it if someone could suggest me some half-decent beginner-level KB. I've been looking at something in price range around $300 - yes, I know it's going to get me a Squier of keyboards - and would rather get one that has one or two usable piano/organ sounds, than one with bells and whistles. Yamaha PSR-290 and Roland EM-15D seem to be around that range, as is Casio CTK-731.

I would be using this thing at home, trying to teach me few songs, and I would perhaps appriciate possibility to record some of my playing on PC too.
  2. i don't have a particular model to recommend,

do yourself a huge favor and get at least a 5 octave (61 key) keyboard, FULL SIZE keys and touch sensitive feature (play hard= louder, play soft= quieter)

this way, you are learning dynamics. important!!

btw, midi out would be nice, so when you get tired of the sounds in the keyboard, you can buy a modern sound module and have the new big phat funky sounds.

3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I bought a Yamaha DJX used for about $200. In terms of a good piano sound, in this category I'm pretty sure you're going to get the standard MIDI "Piano" "Bright Piano" "E. Piano 1", etc. I haven't been keyboard shopping in a while, though, so I don't know what's out there.

Weighted keys are always a nice feature. I wish my keyboard had those.
  4. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, I've been checking out the facts over the web and it seems that Yamaha PSR-290 would be quite decent for me. I like Yamaha as a brand, as well.

It's $299 from and has 61 dynamic keys, MIDI in/out and USB connectors, flashable ROM, reverb, yadda yadda, but what's most important a "portable grand" piano sound which they acclaim should be quite good and natural.

I'll be probably getting one later this fall, so now all I have to do is find out where to get k3yb0aRd tAbZ :D
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You should read this thread in addition. If your computer has a joystick port you've already got your midi interface, a simple sequencing program will make it very easy to record your playing. Just make sure your keyboard has a midi out and in.
  6. duff_hodges

May 15, 2000
    Suffolk, UK
    I own a Casio WK1200, which is a bigger version of the Casio CTK-731 (the only real difference is the the WK1200 has an extra octive).

Personally i would go for the Casio CTK-731, due to my experience, comes ups with the goods of being a decent keyboard. The great thing about it is that you can play around with each voice sound to make it unique, e.g. play around with the pitch, attack rate, release rate blah blah blah. You can come up with some crazy sounds.
    Also it comes complete with midi and so forth. I dont think the Casio CTK-731 comes with a disk drive but buying a music program for your computer shouldnt be a problem. But you can actually record stuff on the casio, up to 6 tracks, but it is a tempary thing; turn off the power and you lose it.

The choice is yours.

Keep the faith
  7. I'd recommend buying something used. Check out and go through the classifieds there. For $300 you won't get anything new that is very inspiring and used keyboards take a huge price hit--kind of like computers, so you'll be able to get a good deal.
  8. Do you have any need for a built in accompaniment module? If not, look at the Yamaha CS1x synth which can be had very cheap secondhand. Excellent XG sounds and very nice synth sounds, a lot og really fat synth bass and organ sounds etc. I have one and love it.

Cheers Rody