Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shopping 12" cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by abarson, Jul 30, 2005.

1. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Years ago, my bass instructor advised me on gear: "Get a 2x10, and add a 15 inch for the bigger gigs. A big 4x10 is great, too. Stay away from 18 inch, and 12 inch cabs just don't sound right".
    Well, he sure was right about the 18", but I'm totally sick of the Ampeg 410 I've been using. I hate the tone, and it just isn't portable.
    I've been sampling 210 cabs, and even some 15's, but have recently started to really like the 12" cabs I've stumbled across. The first was a Genz Benz Neox 112, which floored me with how loud and light it was. A bit brittle for my taste.
    A local shop is now carrying Bergantino, and I fell in love with the EX112S! Except for the price tag... :meh:
    I've read glowing reviews for both Dr. Bass and Avatar cabs, but have no opportunity to try them out. They are both about half the cost of the Bergantino.
    I want to know if anyone has done a comparison of these three 12" cabs, and what your impressions are. Is it worth it to spend the extra dough, just 'cause I'm jonesing for the tone right now?

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Your bass teacher sounds like a prat. :spit: I like 12s, 15s, & 18s. 12s have a fullness to them IMHO that many other speakers lack. 18s have the cool slowness thing, but need to be used with 12s or something in order to sound really good. I hate 10s though, they just aren't my thing. Sounds like they aren't yours, either.

3. Try the Eden 2-12 cab too. It is a great fingerstyle cab, 450 watts rms, and the price is reasonable.