1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shopping endorsement deals/showcases/new record/press kits

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by TheDialog, Apr 10, 2009.

1. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Hey Jus, with a whole slew of things for my band coming up I started to shop for endorsements. Thus far the band is now endorsing Dava Picks and Maxon FX. I could not be any happier. Its been 13 years since I was 9 and started to play the bass. My dream as of late has been to have companies/people see my/our vision in music and be able to have companies that I love endorse myself and my band mates.

So far the companies that we are working with have been nothing but great to work with! Are there companies that you have worked with now or in the past that are a pleasure to work with?

On to showcases: This Monday, April 13, my band, The Dialogue (www.thedialogueband.com) is showcasing in NYC for 3 majors, an independent and a few management companies. Any words of advice?

Our debut record, "All I Thought Impossible" comes out May 5, 2009 and will distributed through online outlets including iTunes, Rhapsody etc. I would love to send you a copy of it! You had checked it out a bit ago on our myspace and gave pretty cool comparisons. I'd love to let you hear it in its entirety.

Lastly, press kits. Any words of advice or wisdom on this one?

Thanks for everything Justin!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Maxon, eh? Can you get me a deal on a phaser? ;)

J/k...sounnds like you're off and running, dude. Best of luck with it...work hard, party hard, and make sure people remember you.

3. TheDialog

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Jimmy M: I'd love to haha ;)

Thank you for the kind advice :)

4. Yeah, me too.:D

Let me ask you a quick couple of questions. How did you approach these companies in order to acquire these endorsement deals? How did they actually find out about you? I'm just wondering because I'm in 3 different bands right now and all 3 have potential to do something but I would like to get hooked up with someone to help us with stuff.

Just wondering, thanks.

5. TheDialog

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    capnsandwich: What's up buddy! My friend and our Tour Manager Jessie have been sending e-mails and contacting companies in preparation to this record coming out. So far the deals that I have gotten have been based on our credentials. There is a ton of momentum behind this band and our current "tour dates" look very legit right now to smaller/medium sized companies. I send e-mails from my management g-mail account where I do business for my band and other bands that I manage/help. I try to write as professional as possible (thanks 8 years of college prep) haha! and deliver the message to be short, sweet and to the point.

Let me know if this helps and if I can answer any more questions. Also, feel free to check out our page (www.myspace.com/thedialogueband) :)

6. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Companies I have worked with successfully are D'Addario (been with them for about 16 years), Electro Harmonix, Tech21, Line6, Fender, Guyatone, Dave Smith Instruments, M-Audio, A Designs Audio, Chandler, Digidesign. All really great people to work with.

Regarding showcasing: try to keep anything that reads like a sales pitch out of it. That's probably really obvious. And if possible, have some "filler" people in there, if it's appropriate. Some ringers never hurts; because the more it feels like a live gig, the better.

I'd rather that my forum didn't become an area for the promotion of one's gigs, so let's try and keep that stuff out of posts, lest we set a precedent.

Best,
    JMJ

7. TheDialog

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Wow, pretty extensive. Nice to know there are so many great companies to work with.

Makes sense. I appreciate the advice.

Took them down. Was just trying to help make the point, not shameless promo. I apologize.