Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shopping for 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by knight, Apr 2, 2003.

1. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Ok people, I wanted to ask you for your help in choosing a 6 string with the following characteristics. I just want to get to a shortlist so I can go to a decent shop and try them out.

-Between $2,000 and 3,000
    -Fairly tight string spacing (no Yamaha-style planks please). I do a lot of left hand muting and closer strings feel more comfortable to me
    -A neck that's not exceedingly flat
    -Versatile (this means one pickup is not an option)
    -three band eq
    -Not too weird looking
    -Decent looking top

Please let me know what you think - I might go used if I find a good deal.

I have been playing my Zon a lot lately and I find it so superior to everything else I own that I'm going to unload all my Fenders etc. on ebay (except the Ray5) and save up for the six string.

Thanks all.

Knight

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Whereabouts are you located? Is custom/handmade an option?

3. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    I'm in Michigan, but I can travel! Yes, custom is an option too. I also would like a three-band pre, since I got used to that.
    Thanks,

knight

4. I have a Bossa OB-6 that fits except it has a fairly flat neck profile.

5. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    One word - Roscoe!

6. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    But I thought Roscoes had really, really wide necks?
    Is there a difference between their models?

knight

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Check out my six string on the Nordstrand thread. It's on the first page. It's nothing like what you want but imagine that you could have everything you wanted exactly and for around $2500. Oh yeah, and the best bass money can buy.

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    well, I PM'd ya about FBB.

You're probably going to get lots of plugs for everybodies favorite luthiers. Going to be some homework involved, but you know all of us gear-lusters are glad to help!

9. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    One word for me too - "Benavente":D

Perfect neck profile. Aggressive pre-amp. Best of Tone. You can either get the SC6 (pic) or a Vortex 6. They should be in your price range. You can check with Adrian (Access Bass) or Brian at the Lowend for details. Both are talkbass members too!

[​IMG]

10. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Arizona
    In fact, I've seen this as a detractor for some of the folks out there. Here's my fretted SKB3006. It is very comfortable to play. You can find them in your price range with no problem.

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i was gonna say the same thing...ZON

12. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    well, since it looks like my bass fleet will shrink to accommodate my wishes, I was thinking I would get something a little different. I would like to have a choice. plus, as much as I love my Zon, I do find the string spacing a little on the wide side.

knight

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow...you think the spacing is wide on the zon? the warwick 6ers have 16.5mm spacing...i think that's just a hair tighter than the zons, but not as close as say the yammie rbx 15 or so mm's. i'll throw another vote towards the benaventes too...those vortexes look mighty sweet.

14. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Here is a very yummy vortex 6

[​IMG]

[​IMG] ;)

15. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    That is very pretty indeed. May I ask how much?

Thanks.

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i think the 6ers are just over 2 grand....correct me if i'm wrong

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  18. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Modulus Quantum 6 :bassist: :bassist:

19. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Thanks all for your suggestions. I have to think a bit more about it, but now I have a better idea of what I want.

knight

20. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    ....and probably the only one I'll ever need.

[​IMG]

It's a Hanewinckel. Excellent luthier in SoCal. This one is an Artist series with the Ceres body style. Check out www.hanewinckelguitars.com

Used Ken Smiths and new or used Peavey Cirrus might also work for you. If you're ever in the Detroit / Ferndale / Royal Oak area, check out Low Down Sound. They have some nice customs from area luthiers.

Peace,

James