Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

shopping for a fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptoon, Aug 31, 2002.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, i'm fed up with my excuses! i've never played a fretless and now i'm gassin' for one. i've come up with a couple basses, and i just wanted to see what you guys think so far....i've come up with a bolt neck thumb (wenge neck), a through neck thumb (wenge/bubinga neck), an f bass, a schack bass, and a hanewinckel (if our talkbass buddy hasn't sold it yet ;) ), and an mtd kingston. here's a couple pics of the f, the winky, and the schack:

hanewinckel:
    [​IMG]

f bass:
    [​IMG]

schack:
    [​IMG]

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i've played all of these with the exception of the ones i showed pics of...the schack i'm gonna test drive on tuesday...the f bass and the winky, i have no clue as to what to expect...they're pretty, though hee hee

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Never played any of those, but I like the F bass myself :)

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'd be careful if I were you.. Once you go fretless, there might be no turning back! :eek:

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, that would be ok, man

6. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Frets are just speed bumps.

7. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    don't get lined ones... you'll learn it faster if you get one unlined, imho...

8. shakey_slim

shakey_slim

Jan 3, 2001
    Spokanistan
  9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i saw that schack "face-to-bass" a few months ago! unfortunately i didn't play it. d'oh!

(i played most every fretless at bassnw in mid july and i liked the modulus quantum, personally. i didn't play any of those basses listed, either).

10. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I like both the F Bass and the Hanie as well...why not just get both..

11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    The hanie all the way. Remember, you always have the option of ignoring fretlines. :D

12. I turned back :oops:
    Not because I couldn't do it, I loved the feeling of playing fretless.

But now I'm purely into metal, and can't find a good use for my fretless. I still have my fretless Jazz bass, but I discovered that going back to fretted gave a lot more technical oppurtunities.

Are there any example's of a fretless applied in metal or are they a no mix ?

13. Bah, you don't need to buy a new fretless, just rip the old frets out of another one of your basses!

14. Hey, someone from WA. Cool. It seems as if Washintonians are a rare breed here on TB.

wOrd.
    Leroy

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

blasphemer!!!

:D

and then not have an excuse for another bass? sheesh :rolleyes:

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

actually, i'm a south carolinian hee hee i'm a first class missile tech stationed at sub base bangor...nice place you got up here, though ;)

17. All of those bassess look great. Have you thought of a Musicman? I just traded for an unlined frettless sterling. its the most comfortable bass i've played in the past fifteen years. Good luck!

18. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ehh...i'm a _big_ fan of the musicman sound, but they just don't do it for me in the aesthetics department. plus, they feel like big boat paddles ;)

19. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Not really, there is me, neptoon (kinda), gershel, angus, alembicbones, dhuff, and a few others. Maybe Ebozz soon.

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    and cameron is in portland, which is the same thing as washington :D