1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shopping for a good phaser

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Largedon, Apr 9, 2009.

1. I've been listening to a lot of Alfonso Johnson lately and have gotten inspired to get a phaser pedal by his bass line on the song Hip Pockets from the Billy Cobham/George Duke Band (wish I could find a good link for this online, but the youtube version has horrible sound quality).

I was looking at possibly a Pigtronics EP-1, but not sure if worth the extra $ over a Boss phaser or something similar (I already use 2 filters, not sure I need another). Just looking for some thoughts and opinions on some phasers. Thanks in advance for the info.

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    The EP-1 comes up in the classifieds fairly often. Keep in mind they have a redesigned EP-2 coming out

If the envelope mode is appealing to you, you should also condider the ehx polyphase.

Bang for buck? Used small stone or MXR phase 90. I'd go with the nano stone for the Alphonso Johnson vibe. Great player! I enjoy listening to him much more than, say, Jaco... :bag:

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I just got rid of my EP-1. The phaser section wasn't to my liking, and the pedal was just too big to keep for the (awesome) filter side. I now use an older EHX Small Stone, and highly recomend it to anyone wanting that classic, swirly, analog phase tone.

4. I think you guys sold me on the Small Stone. Found a demo video on youtube and it really sounds great. Very warm and very easy to use, only one knob and 1 switch, very nice and at only $85 we got a winner. Here's a link to the video if anyone else is curious, unfortunately its only guitar but the guy plays a nice version of Hole in My Life with the pedal so that helps:bassist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F1EaPtxhxs

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I don't know if there's a studio track, but I've got the version of that song from the "Live on Tour in Europe" CD. I love the Nano Small Stone, but I think that sound is either the Maestro (set to "slow") or more likely the Mutron Phasor II.

But if you're not looking for that exact tone and more just a phaser that sounds good on bass, the Small Stone is far and away the best in it's price range IMO.

6. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Go with the nano - size DOES matter!

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I had a nano small stone for a while... it was a good pedal, but not quite what I was looking for. I ended up replacing it with a Maxon PT9 which does the Small Stone type phase plus a bit more.

Here is a vid I did that has the Nano Small Stone on the mellower bits

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Keep an eye out for the Danelectro Pepperoni phaser. I tried one a few months ago and was very impressed. It's cheap and basic, but the specific phasing it does works really well on bass. Most phasers (probably including the Pepperoni model I liked) are designed primarily for guitars. Personally I liked the Pepperoni much better than the Small Stone when I A/Bed them side by side.

9. Yeah, thats the album I picked up. Hip Pockets is far and away my fav song on that album, the rest of it is a little too weird (sound effects type stuff, not enough groove). I was surprised to find out it was John Scofield in that band also. I guess he's a little older than I thought. Sorry John, wherever you are.

10. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I had a PT9 for a while, and I really liked it. I may own one again at some point. The internal trimpot is basically a "manual" (frequency center) control like the one I pointed out on the Bad Stone (in the 'do you actually like eh" thread) - this feature is VERY useful for bass players. I would recommend the PT9 to any bass player looking for an MXR Phase 90 sound (it's a phase 90 clone, right?)

11. gribuski

gribuski

Aug 7, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Honestly, I use a good ol' MXR Phase 90. One dial for speed is all I need. I think it sounds good on bass.

12. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    try a PT9 then! same circuit, but significantly cleaner and the "manual" trimpot can give you way better bass emphasis

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I think you mean the Maxon PT-999 :)

14. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    yes, oopsy

15. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Regarding that demo, they may be similar circuits but just because the knobs are in the same position doesn't mean you have comparable sounds coming from the pedal. Every pedal has difference tolerances and slight differences in sound. They could even be different pot values.

Anyway, that's something that bugs me when A/Bing pedals. I know it's hard to get them similar but the same position of the knob on two different pedals is not always a good way of A/Bing.

16. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    true, but I don't really think it's an issue in this case. The PT-999 is a clone of the Phase 90 so it is very relevant to compare them at comparable knob positions - keep in mind, it's only a rate knob, and doesn't color the phase effect

17. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    I know, I just needed to rant about that. :D But the rates CAN be different, depending on many factors.

18. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    sure- fortunately, rate is a parameter that the ear can detect differences in more easily than, say, frequency center

19. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    When's the EP-2 supposed to come out?

I'd check out Blackout Effector's new phaser:
    http://blackouteffectors.com/site/

20. I had a big small stone (big redface) for decades.. never used it.. not too many places to use it.. great box.. few uses (did I say that enough).

one of the drawbacks was the large size.

This coming from a DI guy.