Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shopping for a new rig....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tnavis, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey all-

After 11 years of reliable service, it's time to put my old Peavey Mark VI head out to pasture. And while i'm at it, my 410 TX cabinet as well. So, i'm currently in the market for a whole new rig. My main focus is versatility. I'll mainly be running my Stingray through it, but on occasion fretless, upright, and electric upright. I need warmth for jazz, clarity for my solo work, and growl and punch for the funk and rock work that I do. Basically, i need an amp that will do everything. ;)

After lugging around that half stack for so long, I'm leaning to a nice, transportable combo. Something along the lines of the Gallien Krueger 1001RB 2X10. However, I could be convinced to try another stack, or even start building a rack unit. I'm not much of gear head, so I don't know the pro's and con's of using a pre-amp/power amp system vs. a head or a combo. Any help or enlightenment would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Tnavis

p.s. oh yeah, i'm looking to spend $1000 - 1500

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I tried the 1001b head and came very close to buying it. I really liked it. I bought a locally made ampo in the end based on price, but it was a tough decision.

And the beauty of it is that you can add an extension speaker if it turns out you need it.

3. I've noticed a trend that younger players tend to prefer seperate amp and cabinets, while older players tend to prefer combos. I guess you just get tired of lugging the gear around and having to set it all up. I like the GK combos. They have the wheels on the bottom and that pullout luggange style handle. And it happens to sound great with plenty of power. I've actually just switched to the GK MicroBass myself 24 POUNDS AND STILL GREAT TONE!!!

4. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Sm400s (not made anymore, but the "x" series by SWR are great amps), and two Aggie 1x12's. Plenty of power, and very portable. It may cost you a little more than $1500, but if you sell your Peavey gear, you should make your budget.

5. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, one of the reasons i'm leaning towards a combo amp is that i'm getting tired of hauling cabs around. My first cabinet was actually a Peavey 1820, 2X10 and 1X18 in the same box. No wheels.

What's the going opinion on GK's speakers that come in the combo amps?

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Having played through my BAM 210 combo last night, I can tell you that the cab handles a low B even at very high volumes. No matter how high I turned it up, the low B was still very tight and clean.

The tones you can get from this amp are unbelievable (as it is a modeling amp). There are 8 amp models and 8 cab models and all the various combinations of those models. There really isn't tone you can't get out of it.

It's like owning 64 combinations of amps and cabs, where you can choose any one you like and store it in a preset so you can change them out at the click of a button on the foot pedal.

Each model is completely customizable with different EQ settings, compression, pre and post gain as well as effects. Once you find the settings you like, you simply press a button and that entire amp/cab/settings/effects model is stored and can be retrieved with one button.

One amp that really does it all...and for a 2X10, holy crap is it loud and clean!!!

7. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    This would be a killer rig:

Alebic F-1X Preamp $400 approx used
    Stewart 1.2 Poweramp $525 new (enjoysound.com)
    Aguilar GS112 (2ea.) $800 new (pair)
    $600 approx used (pair)

Talk to Beaver at Bass Central, I just bought a GS112 and he paid the shipping. A new Alembic F-1X is about $650 new. I would try and find a used one. Enjoysound.com has the best prices on the net for Stewart Power amps. Some people are selling used 1.2's for the price I bought mine new. I would definetly go with a modular rack setup. BTW, with a Stewart 1.2 and a Alembic F-1X your should only weigh about twenty pounds. A little stiff on the wallet but easy on the back and ears too! Also, the Aggie GS112's weigh in at 39lbs a piece. They are very portable and have a huge sound. This would be a killer mini-stack with huge sound.

:bassist:

8. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I know you said that you do not want to lug around a bunch of cabs and amps but, go to Sears or any other Dept. store and get yourself a real nice heavy duty luggage cart. If you went with the two Aggie cabs and a pre/power setup everything would fit on the cart. The Aggies are extremely light and portable. By using the Stewart and a good Preamp will cut down on weight as well. Just my $.02.

9. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    IMO, I would rather lug around three 20-40 pound pieces of equipment rather than one 75-100 pound combo amp (ie. SWR Red Head or Eden Metro). Just my $.02 again.

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've had rack systems...and though the cab was on wheels, the rack was not and I got tired of lugging around my setup.

My BAM 210 combo is 96 pounds...heavy for sure. But I only lift it out of my car and onto the ground. I lift up the handle and roll it to where ever I need to go. And because it is designed with a built in cart, I can lift and roll it, even up stairs (as the wheels are on the bottom back edge). So I lift it once to get it out of my car and then I lift it once again to put it up on a cord case (to make it higher).

One piece that is rolled not carried. Now I will use it as my stage amp and my practice amp at home. Yeah its' heavy but so much simpler to bring it with me wherever I go. When I was younger all I cared about was sound...I still do, but since I'm an old geezer, portability and sound quality are equally important. :)

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you're looking at the 1001RB combo, you owe it to yourself to play the Peavey BAM210 combo before you buy anything. The GK is pretty nice, but the BAM blows it away. And all other combos I have ever played through as well. And I am a former Eden Metro owner.;)

12. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I owned an Eden Metro too...for about one week and just had to return this brand new (new as in never been used and still had the old Eden quality) because it simply could not handle the low B...at all.

I was all excited to have an Eden Metro and the darn speakers just sounded like garbage bags blowin' in the wind with my low B.

I've also owned a Carvin R210 combo and I loved it, but it could not handle the low B as well as the BAM either.

I have never, ever heard a 2X10 combo that is as loud, tight and clean (even at high...and I mean almost cranked kind of high) volumes. In fact, I've heard very few amps of any kind that have this kind of sound and versatility. And with over 25 years of professional and semi-pro experience onstage as well as in the studio, I do have some idea as to what constitutes "quality" sound.

It is still opinion...but I thought it might ad to the validity of my opinion to point that out. It's not like I'm new to this game. I'm also not into just bragging about my own acquisitions. I could have went on and on about my Eden Metro...but alas, it was nothing to brag about as well as numerous other amps and cabs I've owned.

I think anyone who is looking for a combo or a versatile sound owes it to themselves to try out the BAM 210. You cannot fully appreciate it by simply playing a few notes through it either...you need to take the time and work with it a bit as the factory presets you find set up in the store will probably disappoint you (they did me).

If you try one out, be sure to get a couple of presets without any effects...and by all means, crank it!!! Even if you are in a store and you don't think your chops are up to "showing off" in a store...remember you are there to try out a possible purchase! So, do yourself a favor and try out a BAM 210.

If it's not for you, then try something else out...but I might have gone in a different direction had I not tried one out...and I'm very glad I did.

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree. I don't buy anything I can't comfortably lift on my own, even if it means an extra trip to the car.

I've had bass players look at my rig and proclaim "I couldn't be bothered lugging around all that gear". I use 2 speaker cabs. It usually works out their single cab weighs more than my 2 cabs combined.

It's all relative.