1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

shopping for effects frustration

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by claytitan, Oct 22, 2010.

1. claytitan

claytitan

Mar 12, 2008
    Tennessee
    Went to a few music stores today with money to spend. I am looking for a little bit of overdrive and warmth for my rig (GK1001rbii) so I headed out to try a sansamp bass driver and the 3 channel programable version as well. I figure I might as well get something that has a DI out so I have a backup in case of a crapped out amp or something.

I tried to like the thing but just couldn't quite get what I was looking for. It made the bass I was playing sound better but it just sounded like it was doing a little eq to me. The overdrive wasn't much to my liking. I also tried a Boss multieffect unit (ME-50B?)and it was OK but I think I want to stay away from multieffects. Also this unit didn't have XLR out....

One thing I liked out the Boss unit was it had para-eq on the high and low mid. I really could get the sound I wanted. Also the overdrives had a tone knob that adjusted the frequencies where the overdrive was applied. I thought I was able to get a much more pleasing overdrive than from the sanamp.

Now I am thinking about going with some other kind of pre pedal with great EQ (know of any???). Probably find a good overdrive pedal later - hopefully something with high/low pass filters. A compressor pedal would be nice. Also a good DI. sheesh that's a lot of $$$$$???. Can't anybody put this stuff in one unit????

2. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Tronographic Rusty Box (lacks compression, though).
    It's basically a high-gain solid state preamp in an effect pedal. A bit of wonky power requirements, but it comes with an adapter :)
    It's worth checking out, I promise :D

3. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Why not get an M13/M9? It has great compressors, ODs and EQs.

4. I prefer my M80 to any of the sansamp units I had. You could look for the Aguilar Tone Hammer or Hartke Bass Attack, those are pretty well regarded.

I use my English Muff'n as a preamp. I was disappointed in the drive that I was playing until I got the Muff'n. Now I can't get rid of it, despite its huge size and overall PITA-ness.

I love my M13, but it sounds to me like overkill for your request.