1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shopping for first amp, in need of suggestions/opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by benjammin420, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Hey guys, I've been playing around with bass for a few months (Ive been playing guitar for 10+ years) and have decided to get my own setup and try to make a go as a bass player for a while. I haven't pulled the trigger just yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm going with a Classic Vibe Jazz bass.

I like a warm, organic sound, I don't really need sterile cleans or alot of distortion (there are pedals for that) The kind of tones I like are Bootsy Collins (circa James Brown), James Jamerson, John Paul Jones.

My main concerns (besides sound) are durability/reliability and power. I dont have experience playing live on bass, so I dont know how much power I would/should need, but I'd like to have "enough." I'm looking for something in head form (the more portable the better) and could also use input on speakers and cabs too.

As far as budget, I don't want to spend more than I have to of course, but I do want something that is worth buying, as a long term investment.

My local store doesn't have alot of selection, and I've been able to get workable tones with pretty much all the amps Ive tried (Ampeg Micro VR, a few Markbass's, Orange AD-200)

Any input and advice would be appreciated :D

2. so are you looking at micro rigs? or full out balls to the walls 3 810 rigs big?

3. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Mesa Walkabout with Scout cab combo (12" or 15").
    You can pull the head to use with other cabs if necessary.
    There is a multi-part megathread on the Walkabout--lots of enthusiasts.

4. The smaller the better for ease of transportation, but something with enough coverage that I wont have to rely on a PA (in the event there isnt one) I'm not in a band now, so its hard to judge what kind of drummer/guitar rig I will be competing against

5. thanks, it looks good on paper, though that would be about the maximum I could spent

6. I used a borrowed Ampeg Micro VR through 2 Traynor 1x15 cabs at a jam with some friends yesterday. I was very happy with the tone, and the amp has more than enough volume to keep up. I think I might get one for now and see how long I can get away with that. I see Traynor makes a 2x10/1x15 cab, I'm liking to the look of that, I'll have to see if I can find one in stock somewhere to try out

7. You might want to check out Carvin.com. Their amps are good and their shipping rates include all the duties and taxes. Nothing to pay the man at the door.

8. Thanks for the tip, they definitely look good on paper, light weight and powerful

9. maybe rent for a while.....if you go through l+m they'll prolly credit your rental to anything you buy from them.....conversely a look thru the tb classifieds or your local kijiji should help.....warm and organic sounds might lead you to tubes,and a grand-1200 should get you a decent head ala a 400+/svt/and another 400 for a 4x10,which oughtta do ya for most rooms,....

10. Gallien Krueger makes some nice combo amps and some smaller heads and cabs that sound great and are easy to transport.