Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shopping for Gear: It's not doing it for me these days - Is this a good thing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DanGouge, Aug 23, 2005.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I was talking to a guitarist friend the other day, and I think he felt something of the same thing. We both have competent rigs and while I used to love spending a weekend looking in all sorts of different music stores. But now, now I find that it doesn't do that much for me. It's not that I have the *perfect* rig by any stretch at all. I still GAS for stuff, it's just that most of it now involves more money than I can afford right now. At the same time, a lot of the stuff I have is good enough that upgrades are definitely going to be getting into law-of-diminishing-returns territory. Is anyone else here in that place where they just don't have a lot of impetus to shop for stuff like they used to?

2. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    +1, and my wife couldn't be happier!! She can't believe that I drive by pawn shops and GC these days without even craning my neck. You are absolutely right with the "diminishing returns" theory. I've actually been working to reduce my overall rig for the last year.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yeah, I've been this way since the end of last year/beginning of this year actually. I'm quite, quite happy with my rig right now. I GAS, but, I don't really WANT the other stuff, I'm just a gear whore who has to "try everything once".

-Ray

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I have anti-GAS right now: I'm trying to pare all of my equipment back to stuff I actually use and sell off the rest. I haven't seen anything in a long time that says "buy me."

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I had a huge test of this last night. I saw a Read Custom Zebrawood fretless at BB that I had night and day dreams about for the last 24 hours. I know I don't NEED it, I want it for some useless reason, but I'm able to talk myself out of it. Usually GAS would cause me to hate my current gear, but I still am quite happy with my setup. I'm at the point where I don't think I could want for anything else.