Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shopping for Good, Cheap Basses to Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TyKao, Jan 7, 2004.

1. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    When you guys are shopping for an MIM, SX, or Brice bass to soup up with a new bridge, neck, pickups, tuners, or other items, how do you all test to see whether it's the kind of axe that's worth putting money into? What are good ways to test the quality of the wood and the overall quality of the bass? If it's saddled with cheaper parts, won't it be hard to tell its potential or not?

2. if you wanna go about changing the neck, pups, tuners, and possibly electronics, what are you gonna keep from the original bass besides the body? why not go to warmoth and buy the body that you want, then build the custom bass you've always wanted?

3. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    I was just throwing out that possibility because I know a lot of people have replaced their MIM's necks.

4. i agree with the warmoth thing. i bought a essex in the hopes to soup it up a few years ago, but as soon as i got it out of the shipping box, i plugged it in and i liked it too much to try to fix up! it would be a good idea to look at warmoth to just get a body and go from there.
    good luck
    Charlie