1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shopping for Monitor Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jackajesusfreak, Apr 10, 2010.

1. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    I am shopping for a bass amp that I can use mostly as a monitor, but has enough kick to use by itself in small venues. I know I am looking at, at least 100 watts and preferably a 15" speaker. I have a 200 watt GK with a 15" speaker that I paid $400 for, which fits that bill nicely. However, I will be playing weekly at 2 different venues, and I'm trying to avoid having to haul equipment back and forth. I can secure equipment at both sites.
    I was hoping to stay at $300 or less. GK also has a 200 watt 12" speaker amp that goes for $299.99. I've been told to try and avoid the 12" speakers, opposed to 15" because you will hear a definite difference in quality.

My questions are this:

1. Do you concur with the 12" vs 15" speaker assumption?
    2. Is there anything on the market I can get with those specs for $300.00?

Thanks,

Jack

2. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Someone told you that there is a quality difference between 12" and 15" speakers? No. A tone difference, a size difference, a price difference: yes.

You really need to just go out and play a few different amps, since you're looking for something you can use as a monitor...but what you really seem to want is an actual bass amplifier that sounds good. At that price point, you really have to play the amp because opinions vary greatest on the less expensive amps.

3. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    That's the problem. Outside of GC, which only has a few bass amps to try, there is very little opportunity to try before you buy.

4. I played 215's and 18" for decades, I only play through a NEO 412 now. Loved my 15's, love my 12's more. :)

5. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Banned

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    I just finished playing through about 30 different combo amps from MarkBass, Hartke, GK, Mesa/Boogie, Ashdown, Line 6, Fender, and several other manufacturers - just go into any Guitar Center, Sam Ash, or even a privately-owned music store. They always have combos available.

6. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Your GC must be humongous! The bass guitar section in our store is very small and the amps are far and few between.

7. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    If you're not able to play through amps before you buy them, you are at a definite disadvantage. Lurk around here more and read everything you can. You already have a rig so you can afford to be patient.