Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shopping for new pickups.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by count_funkula, Feb 28, 2005.

1. I recently bought an Ibanez RKB900. It came with Quarter Pound pups in a PJ configuration. I like the QP's but they're not exactly me.

I want something with a bit less output. Something that has a nice slap sound and the P pup needs to be deep and growly without the clanky harshness of the QP. I find the QP would be better suited for playing with a pick and really digging in.

Thats not my style. I would like a passive setup but I'm not ruling out active. I have used an EMG PJ set in the past and loved it.

With this bass I'd prefer to have the exposed pole piece look but it's not a deciding factor.

Two I'm thinking about right now are Vintage Rio Grande or Seymour Duncan Light'n Rods.

Any suggestions?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have to say that EMG PJ's have had a consistently good slap sound in every bass I've heard them in.