Shopping in NYC...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Mar 4, 2002.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I spent the weekend in NYC. My wife was at a medical conference, so I just bummed around. Everytime I go to NYC I walk my dogs off. I went from 52nd to WTC and back on a very circuitous route on Sunday. I must have walked for 3 hours, stopping for a haircut in the Village on the way down and a Starbucks by City Hall on the way up. I was really just looking for a gift for my daughter.

Anyhow, I stopped in Sam Ash Saturday afternoon (I some a dude on line that looked like Nino Brown). I really wasn't happy w/ the selection. For basses, they had plently of Fenders, Ibanezes, and some other bits and scads. Nothing high-end except the 3 Smiths and 1 Spector in the window. They also had an Ampeg baby and a couple of sweet Taylor AEBs. All I saw for amps was Hartke Hartke Hartke.

Across the street at Manny's they had, again, a ton of Fenders and Ibanezes, a few MMs, four or five Peavey Cirruses, some other crap, and a Yamaha Pattitucci sig. Amps they had were used SWRs (even a beat up Mo Bass which I just didn't like), Peaveys, Hartkes, and a very noisey GK.

I dropped into Rudy's and busted a nut, as far as quality bass selection goes. It was a great room. Also, a nice selection of heads; mostly Edens. Very nice. I didn't mess around with anything in there though.

I have to admit, we get a much better selection out here in North-East PA, given Guitar-Villa in Nazareth and Bass Palace up in Scranton. I don't mean the same old MARS and Guitar Center re-runs. I expected to see more in the city.

Other than that, my legs are BEAT!!!
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Well, it might of been me. Mr FortuneCookie (also from PA) met up in the city & were in Sam Ash. We went to Rudy's & NYC Guitar & BAss Botique (9th ave & 50th st) to try some Aguilar stuff & they had 2 really nice Atelier Z jazz basses. The Aguilar DB359 sounded GREAT through a GS410 & GS115. I had My Sadowsky 5 with me. Too bad you didn't say hey. :(

If you're ever in NJ, vivis the NJ Guitar & Bass Center. ( It's a really small store w/ALOT of high end basses (Modulus, Lakland, MusicMans <font size=1>(20th Anni & Namm Anni)</font> Spector's Aguilar, Eden (I think), & others that slip my mind @ the moment.
  3. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Yeah, that must have been you. You had the bass in a gig bag on your back. I passed by you at the entrance with my wife. I went to the Rudy's right down the street from SamAsh. They have another on 50th?...hey, next trip!!!

Oh, and the store in Scranton is Bass-Palace not paradise, I edited it.
  4. Yep Zulu, that was definately us. Yeah, we were in Samash for all of three seconds. We walked in, and walked out after looking at the selection. Rudy's had a nice selection or Zons and Warwicks. The Atelier basses were real nice at the NY Guitar and Bass Boutique.

BTW, i'm gonna make a small correction to Nino's comment, it was a GS210 and GS115, not GS410. Though it definately sounded so amazing.
  5. Zulu, you came to MY TOWN, and didn't drop a dime on me? This will figure into your gift next Christmas. :D

You were near City Hall? I went to J&R music world about 4 o'clock. We might have passed each other right by. Sad seeing where the WTC used to be huh?: (

Mike J.
  6. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Now I feel bad...
    I'll be in again. I'll send out a broadcast invitation.

WTC: It was just what I expected to see. I mean I always hear, "You have no idea how massive the destruction was unti you see it." I guess since people only focus on it's vertical stature, they didn't pay attention to the footprint of the area. I saw what I thought I would see.

However, the damage to the surrounding buildings and the general mood of the area (on such a dank muggy chilly day) had more of an impact on me. I rarely used to venture past SoHo. Whenever I did, I usually took the subway. This time I walked, over Houston, over Canal; as I walked (mostly on Broadway) the chills just came over me. A very odd experience that I was glad I could take in in isolation. I'm glad I didn't have to make small talk about it.

Sometimes it's good to be alone.
  7. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Sometimes it sucks to be alone too.