Shopping online or in a store

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RAM, Dec 28, 2004.

1. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you had a choice between shopping online and shopping in a store, which would you choose?

Well, consider this: online retailers often charge less, and are able to do so for several reasons. However, what if you don't get quite the same level of product support for something you purchase?

Let's take basses, for example...say there's a luthier whose work you drool over, like Fodera or Sadowsky or'd like to try one out but would have to drive 300 or more miles to simply decide if it's the right bass for you. You call the dealer, who offers to ship you the bass on trial, but have to pay for it in advance, though your payment is fully refundable if you decide the bass isn't for you.

Conversely, lets say you live in NYC and can drive less than 30 minutes (or take the subway) and try out basses from all 3. The only catch is, it'll cost you an extra 10% - 15% (or more) to buy it from your local dealer, due to his overhead costs.

Which dealer would you buy from: online, where it'll save you money, or local, where you can try it out and know who you're dealing with up front?
  2. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    store for me. I like to try em before I buy em.Sometimes you will find some style or something you prefer from one model to another,once you play one like a Sadowsky or Carvin or whatever you can then order one the way you want it it.
    If you have to travel to play them,I think it will be worth it,
    take a buddy and make a day of it. DO not take Girlfreinds or wifes Bass shopping. I made that mistake once. :help:

3. Haha, Dude i totally agree and i nominate that for a sticky somewhere on this forum!

But yeah check out the stores, its comforting to deal with someone face to face. And bring a bud/make a day out of it! :hyper: