Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

shops in Denver/Boulder (CO)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by julo, May 4, 2005.

1. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    hi everyone,

i'm going to visit those 2 towns in a few weeks, i'd like some advice and adresses of good shops over there, please.

by good shop, i mean:
    -honesty
    -competency
    -kindness
    -choice in instruments, effects,...

thanks
    J

2. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Guitar X
    1452 South Broadway
    Denver CO 80210

303-282-9800

Its a boutique shop, but it has the best selection in town and the people who run it are great.

3. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    +1

Gary, the owner is a great guy.

4. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    thanks guys

J

5. Where's Wildwood? http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/

(actually, where's Louisville CO?)

There's a dealer sticker on my old Marshall Cab from Brentwood Music in Boulder.

6. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Louisville is close to Boulder so that should be a must see. Brentwood is in southwest Denver. I bought a Ric there years ago.

7. Wildwood pretty much only carries guitars. They did have a Taylor ABG though... and they are great guys.

8. You can also check out Robbs music in Boulder. They are on Canyon Blvd.

9. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    +1 for Robbs! I always hit that plac ewhn I'm on tour. I've bought a few cabs there mid-tour. They've always been really nice to me. One time my endorsement strings didn't show up at the Fox Theater like they were supposed to and Robbs just gave me a case of strings and said they'd let D'addario reimburse them for them. Now that's cool.

10. Right on. I always love going in there. I used to live 2 blocks from it. I thought they might start charging me rent. :smug:

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    In Boulder, there is only 1 shop anymore: Robb's Music. There are some good people there, but there are also those with your typical Boulder stoner mentality. And, while they have a lot of basses, they've had the same ones for years, seemingly. Not a great variety or selection.

Don't waste your time with Guitars, etc. in Longmont. They care NOTHING about bassists.

If you can possibly swing it, go up to Fort Collins and check out Spotlight Music. In my opinion, it's the best shop on the front range. VERY knowledgeable and helpful staff, good selection (though not the greatest bass selection, admittedly. You can sometimes find a gem, though), great prices and the best accessories (cables, pedals, etc.). They don;t hassle you the minute you walk in, but they are always around if you need help.

12. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    thanks again to you all.

anyway keep suggesting :)

13. I'll have to checkk out spotlight in Ft Collins sometime. I haven't been there before. It's a bummer not having any good bass shops in the area though. Great places for efffects and amps, but always the some old stuff by way of basses. :eyebrow:

14. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Is First Bass in Denver on Broadway still in business?
    If so, I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned.

If I remember correctly, I think Wedgles in Downtown Denver has some oddities there.

I agree with PB about Robbs. It was a nice store when I lived there, but between the weed and the altitude, some of the people working there were out of it. They had decent stuff there when I was there last year.

Wildwood music is a cool store. The owner is a nice to work with, and if you're into guitars, you gotta check out this place.

Also, Drum City-Guitar Land in Lakewood has cool stuff there. If I remember correctly, they had a good selection of EB stuff there. There's another cool used store near there in Arvada, but can't remember the name.

National speaker and sound is cool place to check out pro-audio stuff, if you're into that kind of stuff. They also get bass stuff there from time to time.

Avoid Rockley Music. They are the only store I have ever heard of that charges list price for their stuff. 10% for a local pro - ***??!?!?

15. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Sadly, First Bass has been closed since around Oct./Nov. '99. I really miss that shop!

Matt

16. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    That's around when I moved out of CO. I guess they needed my GAS to stay in business. :D

17. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Robb's is pretty cool. I was in Boulder attending some training at Micro Motion about three weeks ago. They let me rent out an Ibanez BTB 4 string and a Warwick blue cab 20 for only 50 bucks for 4 days. I had my hotel suite rocking for those 4 days. Pretty nice guys but their bass selection was kinda sparse. I don't think they even had a six string in the place.

18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    They didn't and they haven't for many moons. I bought my first 6-string from there a few years ago (a DeArmond Pilot, which I ultimately traded to someone here).