1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shops in manhattan

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by noamgat, Apr 30, 2010.

1. noamgat

noamgat

Apr 30, 2010
    Hi,

(If this is the wrong forum, my apologies. I also tried searching with no luck)

I don't have any good shops in my area and shipping is a bitch over here. A friend of mine will be in manhattan in a few days, and I want him to pick up some strings for me (Thomastik Superflexible to be exact, but thats less relevant).

Are there any shops (preferably with web pages / public email addresses) in the area that I can check out? (I prefer not to have him wander around between shops, but find one that definitely has it)

Thanks!

2. CBFinet

CBFinet

Nov 11, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    The best place to get strings in NYC is Ideal Music. They have the best prices and inventory hands down. It's owned and run by a little old lady that's had the shop for decades and she charges close to wholesale price for strings. The only catch is that their hours are a little more limited than some of the other shops so it's best to call before heading there.

Ideal Music
    150 West 22nd Street
    (212) 675-5050‎

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Second recommendation for IDEAL.

4. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    3rd for Ideal.. I'm picking up a Spiro Stark E there this week (they had to order it, but the price is just ridiculously good).

5. I recently discovered that the shop is a short walk from the office I work at on 18th St about once a month. I tried to visit on Thursday but I showed up just as they were closing. I am going to try again during my May visit. I've talked with the woman on the telephone and she seems very pleasant.