1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Shops in NY Carrying also used gear - Queens & Manhattan

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SonnyBassPlayer, Sep 6, 2016.

1. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    So, I come from Italy and I will be in NY a few days this month. I have been carried in this large group of people consisting of relatives & their friends & their collegues and I'm trying to cut as much time as possible for myself or I will probably go crazy.

I wanted to ask if anyone can suggest some instrument shops, around Queens and Manhattan that also store some used gear. I'd like to get myself a short scale bass, but the models I like are damn rare in Italy (on the cheap side: Squeir Mustangs are unicorns, a used Bronco can cost 200$).
    There is quite some price difference between Italy and USA considering new products, but with used gear it's even steeper.
    In any case probably anything will cost less than in my homeland so also shops storing Squier and Fender level instruments are very welcome.

I will appreciate any suggestion! If there's something really worth but it's not too close to those areas I cited feel free to tell me: I'll prefer doing one good shop and travel than walking for two mediocre ones.

Edit: I'd also look for pedals!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Places that sell used gear in Manhattan and Queens:

Guitar Center
    Sam Ash
    30th Street Guitars
    Rivington Guitars
    Matt Umanov

There may a few that I'm missing. Keep in mind that used gear is very expensive in NYC. They charge top dollar and don't care if it sits. Most places carry mainly vintage stuff.
    If I were you I'd troll Guitar Center Used for what you're looking for, buy it, and have them ship it to the store before you arrive.

SonnyBassPlayer likes this.
  3. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    Thank you very much for the info! I really hoped for some good deals.... but reading about TB's GC stories your troll system sounds quite good to me!

4. PanRap

PanRap

Jan 31, 2018
    Greece
    Hey,
    Sonny, have you bought anything?
    i am planning a trip in NY in fall
    and i was thinking of doing the same

but my extra question is, did you had problems at the customs when entering EU?
    did they ask you anything for the bass? did you pay extra?

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021