Shops in San Diego

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ccbass71, Jan 25, 2009.

1. ccbass71

ccbass71 Supporting Member

I am going to San Diego next weekend with my wife. What are the happening shops. The threads I found are quite old. I know about Carvin. Where else should I go?

2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Since Bass Alone is mail-order only now San Diego is a bass wasteland! I honestly can't think of a store that would be different than what you have back home.

Guitar Trader - nothing but low end Fenders and the like

Guitar Centers - San Marcos is a bit better but that is 35 minutes from San Diego. La Mesa has a couple of Pedulla's, a few Modulus...

Freedom Guitars - I don't even go there anymore

Moze - a couple of basses

Buffalo Bro's - up in the North County... very unpredictable number of basses but the prices are high

Music Mart - a couple of G&L's

See what I mean?

Dan K.

3. ccbass71

Thanks. I had heard about Bass Alone. I;m sure I'll find plenty of other things to do.

4. azwhofan

azwhofan Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Arizona
    IME Buffalo Bro's has always catered more to the acoustic market first, electric guitar market second. Basses come in dead last. Nonetheless, I've always had a good experience evrytime I walk into that store. They have outstanding customer service. And you can spend all day test driving instruments in their no-pressure environment.

You could try to set up a tour of the Taylor factory if your schedules work out.

5. Dan is right. I wouldn't plan a weekend in SD for bass shopping - especially not with LA so nearby (not that i ever go up there to buy gear)

Guitar Trader/Music Power DOES at least carry Mesa bass amps, not sure how exciting that is for you...

6. ccbass71

Thanks for all the info. It will still be a fun weekend. My wife is going to a seminar and I'll have some time to kill. The weather will be great compared to out 20 degree temps. Or as Peyton says "the weather here is sweet".

7. robnatt

robnatt

Sep 14, 2005
    I would also recommend Buffalo Bros. They have a huge inventory of all types of instruments.

I spent a long afternoon there during a family vacation and had a blast. I also play a few other stringed instruments, so there was a broad appeal for me, but it's cool to see so many instruments in one place.

Great staff as well.

8. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Azola is here in the greater San Diego area (Ramona). Steve Azola makes very nice EU Basses; I think you need to make an appointment to visit.

Buffalo Brothers is a great place for guitar players to visit - not much there for bassists.

9. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    If it was me, I'd go to the Zoo and then to the beach...

Billy-Bob

10. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Yep other than the Carvin factory being here there really isn't anything special out here.

Ooooo....new or old ones Dan?

Jim

11. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Have an In and Out burger, then visit our zoo and Balboa Park.

12. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Then a trip to Roberto's for a Carne Asada burrito. It is a San Diego requirement. :smug:

Jim

13. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    :smug:

14. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Check out the Wild Animal Park, very cool.

15. ccbass71

Thanks again for all the input. Two days and we'll be there. The weather should beat the snow storm we are having right as I speak.

16. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Don't miss the Rubio's fish taco's!

Dan K.

17. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    So, CCbass71, what did you end up doing while in our fair city?

I hope you had fun!

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021