1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Short and medium scale parts

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MajesticFrog, Mar 30, 2006.

1. MajesticFrog

MajesticFrog

Feb 22, 2006
    NC
    Ok, I am looking for short and medium scale parts, like what you might find at warmoth or in kits. Does anybody know where I can get high quality shorter scale parts (bodies/necks really).

2. Hi,

It is hard to get really decent quality short scale parts off the shelf - here is what I have unearthed.

USACG makes 30" scale bass necks that will bolt onto bodies with Fender strat/tele dimensions. There is only a passing mention of these necks on their web site. You have to call and ask about them to get exact details. They make nice stuff.

According to my rough measurments a Danelectro reissue longhorn neck may also be used in such an application but double check to make sure on this one - YMMV - nowhere near as nice a neck as a USACG one.

I think that many bolt on two ocatave 30" bass necks could possibly be adapted to many guitar bodies made to Fender 25.5 inch scale dimensions. Note that some guitars made to that scale do not exactly match the Fender dimension from the neck pocket to the bridge (depending on range of the bridge saddle adjustments, you may have some room to play). Of course the dimensions of the neck pocket must also match up with the neck itself. Always double check all dimensions. Things may not work or you may have to make some modifications to get some combinations to work.

The Dean evo xm is a 30' scale bass with a a two octave neck and looks pretty nice for about $180 street. It comes with a pair of humbuckers and I believe also a set of full sized sealed tuners. I have a few ideas for modding this bass myself and have been trying to get my hands on one to check it out.

SX short scale basses are cheap and therefore a valid source for parts (or a basis for mods), though the parts may or may not interchange with other instruments. I don't know of anything else that matches the SX instruments as far as interchanging bodies and necks.

Hope some of this helps.
    Anyone else have any ideas?

Peace,
    S