Short film

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Buck Naked, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    So I am a short filmmaker. I am about to begin a new film. So does anyone have any ideas for a short comedy? I have a few but I am slowly burning myself out on these ideas. Any input would be greatly appreciated.:help: :bassist:
  2. Potty humor is a plus.
  3. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    Word. So, have you any ideas, or did you just wanna say potty humor?
  4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    no it isnt. its overused.

it would help if we knew details, like target market, etc.
  5. I want to say potty humor, but I won't. Oops-
    On topic, I suggest you study Monty Python(the series as opposed to the various movies). Their subjects are often universal(or universally absurd)and continue to be as timely now as 30+ years ago. But for a quick buck, definitely potty humor. Oops again. BTW, are you a fan of the original Buck Naked?
  6. Just absurdity (like the afore mentioned monty python, or kung pow)
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    25 year-old, well-to-do man gets fired on his birthday. Being Friday, a get together was planned between friends. Introduce the man's best friend as a typical slacker. Create irony by having the well-to-do man try to support his world view awfully, while the slacker takes the opposite side and supports it masterfully. At his lowest low, have the well-to-do man remember activities that he thought he used to enjoy, only to realize that he was merely going through the motions.

Basically show that the successful person was is a flat character and that the slacker was a dynamic character.

Other ideas:

Include would be a strong-willed female character to convince him to get over himself, but in the most negative/pessimistic/satirical way possible.

Include the man's father who is out of touch with the way the world works, yet use existentialism to show that while people think he is out of touch, he views others as out of touch with his reality. You could use him as a persona (I believe that is the correct term. Basically to express the view of your choice).

A narrator in the vein of Wilford Brimley.

Kind of weak and probably way too heavy for a comedy, but my mind is tired and that is all I could come up in a pinch.

Good luck.
  8. Have a little kid character simply known as "Ball Punch" who goes around hitting people in the nards.
  9. A bassplayer gets harrassed all his life by egotistical shred-guitar guys , then one day he gets fed up and kidnaps them , makes them listen to hours of Jaco, Geddy Lee, and some other famous bassplayers so loudly to where it damages their ears and they can't hear pitch right anymore. Then makes them watch as he saws off the headstocks of their guitars and removes their Floyd Rose Tremolos with Hedge Trimmers.Finally he releases them back into the wild as tone deaf fools.

I'd laugh.
  10. There was a big thread a few months ago, where we made an entire story. One person was aloud to write one line per post, and then another person would write the next line. It was pretty funny... with a few grey poupon references... You should make THAT into a short film. And credit everyone who wrote a line. And more credit to me for recomending you do this :smug:
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's OK - height doesn't matter to us round here! :p
  12. I just laughed myself stupid! That's one of the best ideas I've ever heard.
  13. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    Yea I kinda want to do something like Monty Python. Hell yea I am a fan of the original Buck Naked.

And to the guy that said

I applaud you sir. That was absolutely brilliant. HAHAHAHAHAHA
  14. ummmmm, That would be a vertically challenged film maker. ;)
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Do it about nothing. Seinfeld made millions doing short films about nothing.

16. Bruce Lindfield

I don't know, I applaud people who call a spade a spade and aren't frightened of plainly stating their shortcomings!! ;)
  17. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    abark000 makes a good point about the importance of a thing called a 'plot' (although many movies today seem to forget about this ... look at :spit: "Lost in Translation" ... :eyebrow: then again, don't).

So some people say there are only three story lines ... 1. Coming of age (abark's plot), 2. Jack and the Beanstalk, or 3. Boy meats girl, yadda ... I tend to agree, then you embellish with whatever themes you want (potty humor is fine :D )

How about something along the lines of Steve Allen's old 'Meeting of Minds'. Just to make it topical you could have Andre the Giant, Randy Newman, Attila the Hun (4'11" in spikes), and Bruce Linfield at a dinner conversation (sort of "My Dinner with Andre").

... oops, you might want to give Attila a wide berth when you come up with these one-liners Bruce ;)

Whatdayathink? Sounds like a weiner :bassist:
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Are you saying short in stature equates to short wiener? ;)
  19. Actually good narrative is what most films lack. We were taught at Uni that all films have a plot, as a 'plot' in the traditional sense is everything you see from start to finish, the actual scenes themselves. The order of the plot can be rearranged and still tell the same narrative. A narrative is the story. At least that's how it works for us media production types....:meh:
  20. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    I think I have my story. It's about a guy named Stu (got the name from Stu Hamm. My last movie had the main character by the name of Les. This one also features Vic.) He is in a funk dance crew called the Sparkle Motion Dance Crew. One day he goes to the SMDC HQ (Vic's mom's garage) to find that the crew is kicking him out. He goes home and cries for a few days and lies in bed and eats ice cream. Then Vic calls him up and apologizes and invites him to be part of the crew again. So Stu is ecstatic. He gets out of bed and and rides his bike as fast he can to SMDC HQ. The crew is reunited. After a day of dancing and having fun (stupid movie montage) Stu heads home. Another dancer asks Vic why the invited Stu to come back again . To which Vic replies by telling the other dude that Stu is the only one with a boombox and the one that is paying for their roller rink memberships.

My teacher thought it was really funny. The dialogue makes it funnier.