1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

short fingers, big neck

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dalconthenovice, Apr 27, 2010.

1. so this has never really been TOO much of a problem but when i play in like first position keys, especially major keys, i have difficulty reachin those nuts, like i can still groove, and hold my own with the jam band i play with should we decide to play in F# major or somethin but its a hell of a stretch that my fingers can BARELY take

any thoughts on how i can develop proper technique to do so? suggestions? maybe a secret make-finger-longer potion?

2. bighead4G&L

bighead4G&L Guest

Jun 30, 2007
    Practice, practice my friend. Make sure your thumb is behind the neck, not gripping it. After you develop enough "stretch" to make the reach, learn to relax with it. Try not to make your hand too tense as much as possible. I think most of us have a problem with that reach unless we have very long fingers. Not to worry, it will come in time.

3. fit your entire right hand between your left index and middle fingers and then use your right hand to stretch out your fingers on your left hand and repeat with all you other fingers.