'short' fingers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CJY, Aug 19, 2001.

1. CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Recently,I discovered that my fingers are actually shorter than my friends(who don't play any instruments).All along I thought I was of average length.My measurement of my fretting(left) hand middle finger is about 3 3/8 inch from my palm.I'm an Asian guy,so I assume that I'm already 'shorter' than my counterparts elsewhere in the world.My question is how short is considered short?I like to play 5 strings and sometimes I feel a strain in my fretting hand.I wonder if my 'short' fingers had anything to do with it.How 'long' are yours?

I hope this doesn't turn into a 'mine is longer and bigger than yours' thread.:D
  2. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    I have very small hands for a guy - essentially the size of female hands (slightly larger than my wife's but smaller than a lot of girls that I have compared with) and I play 6 and 7 strings, so 5 strings should not be a problem! :)
  3. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I have really girly hands, my fingers are insanely long and thin.
  4. Carolyn

Jun 18, 2001
    Newcastle UK
    Well....I REALLY do have girly hands..hmm.

f I get finger strain it's usually that I've played for a while without a break, or when I try something new. I don't think it's the size of my fingers.3

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Well my dad has small hands and my mom is Japanese, so wouldn't you know it my hands aren't too big. I used to have problems when I had to reach for certain notes, but over time as my technique improved those problems disappeared. While I'll never be able to play some insane chord that stretches over 8 frets I don't have any problems when I play.
  6. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I can palm a basketball with both of my hands. I have no problem with my four stringer right now.
  7. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    CJY, My hands are smaller than yours. Middle finger only 3 1/8" to palm, and my dang pinky is a whole inch shorter than my ring finger. I recently got a 5 to try it out but quite honestly I am much more comfortable playing a 4 string. Getting my pinky up to the B string in the higher registers is pretty much impossible unless I bring my thumb to the front of the fretboard. I don't really "need" a 5 so I'm probably gonna trade it, it just isn't fun to play for me, YMMV.
  8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    My fingers are short and pudgey :mad:.
    Heres an idea:

The middle finger of my fretting hand is a grand total of 3" long and 3/4" wide at the knuckle.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've got average size hands, but my fingers are short compared to the rest of my hand. My middle finger is only 3 1/2 inches on my fretting hand, and 3 3/8 inches on my other hand, but I am able to get around pretty good on 5 and 6 stringers.
  10. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    When I got back into bassin' I sought out a short scale bass figuring my hands were to small for 35" basses or 5 or 6 stringers. As soon as I moved to a 5 string, I realized that this is actually a plus for guys with small hands. You have more latitude to move around frets 6 - 18 by going across strings and using the extra range of the bass. You can eliminate some of the 4 and 6 fret long stretches, especially in the lower registers.

I've recently started learning on a 6 string and I'm finding the same thing to be true, although the thickness of the neck above 18 frets takes some getting used to.

I haven't spent more than 20 minutes on a 7, so I'm not sure how much there might be to gain there.

11. embellisher

That's the reason that I like 5's and 6's, plus you have 2 or 3 different places to play notes, for different tones, etc.
  12. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hey! Me too! LOL :D

I also only get a strain when I've been playing for awhile mainly, unless I'm doing some far stretching along the neck or something. I only play a 4-string.

I have very tiny hands and fingers. (To give you an example my fretting hand middle finger is only 2 in a half inches.) Little kids have bigger hands than I do! LOL. I haven't found it a hindrance. (Actually more of a hindrance when trying to play some chords on a guitar that require a big stretch).

I wouldn't worry about size.
  13. i have no problem reaching frets, seeing as i have long ass fingers. my problem is my good friend carpol tunnel syndrom. my one song, which goes real fast all over, then into a solo kills my wrist, and since i pick, both my hands are in pain. its horrible.
  14. embellisher

Now don't anyone get any ideas about scanning other body parts.:eek:
  15. What, like my guitarist's head?

16. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
  17. my hands are small too, damn. :( its hard for me to play basslines like butterfly by crazytown, is this weird?
  18. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Those scans of heads are actually scary! They look like morgue photos, or body parts floating in a formalin jar... :eek: