1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Short guys-- do you get picked on for playing a bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Petary791, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So, i'm 5'6", which really isn't that short, but I play a 35.5" 6 string, and it never fails to get the comment, "THAT BASS IS BIGGER THAN YOU!!!" So i'm just wondering if it's just me or what. What do you do when it happens?

2. Bluesdog

Bluesdog

Apr 24, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Take it as a compliment , man,

at least they're not sayin' Farrrrrk man , stop ! you'r playin' is sheit!

oh and, yep ,...............it is only you.

3. i'm 5'11'' so i've never had that problem.. but i've always been told that i "look" like a bassist... i think that comes from having some sort of chin hair - whether it be a goatee or a solo stripe below the middle of my lower lip... have u guys experienced that?

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you're an adult male...5'6" is pretty darn short. Sorry. I'm 5'8", which is also quite short, but the only time I've gotten comments about my bass looking huge on me is when I had my Conklin seven-string, which was a damned big bass. I have pretty wide shoulders for my size, so I'm not that small for someone of my height.

Your 6-string has a 35.5" scale? Are you sure of that- that's a really odd size? Carvin is the only one I know of with a similar weird size at 35 1/4" for the XB series.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm 16 and not done growing.

I think it's 35.5". I measured it myself though so there may be your problem.

6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I'm about 5'7", and I occasionally hear something along those lines.

The best answer is, get used to being short, and the comments go away. People stop using you to make jokes when you shrug them off instead of putting on some amusing display of indignation like I used to do.

Make peace with your shortness, and relax smug in the knowledge that your sound will be heard blocks away, while a good-sized front door stops most of your (probably tall) guitarist's sound from escaping.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Good- keep on growing! It ain't fun being stuck at 5'8". It's easy to make an error in measurement of a half inch or so on a bass as well, so try again sometime. Maybe it's even a 36" scale ;)

8. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'm 5'5", but in killer shape. Shaved head. I play very well, and drive the livin' **** out of my bands. No one gets on me for being short. They know better.

9. Well, I'm about 5'9, which I guess is about average height.

I would just say "well, you know what they say about guys who play long basses..." and laugh.

10. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Naahh ...

11. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I'm about 6 foot, so I don't really get that. Though I DO get comments about making strats look tiny when I play 'em.

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'm 6'4 and I play a 2/3rds size jazz bass.

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Just Keep Rockin ! :bassist:

14. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I mostly play a deluxe jazz which has a smaller body and an EUB thats got a prety small body so i've never really gotten that. I'm pretty small only 5'8 bout a hundred an 130 pounds but i make skinny look good :p

15. And that right there, Ladies and Gentlemen, is a perfect display of the short guy attitude. He's definitly not compensating for anything.

Good thing I'm tall, I don't have to play well or be in shape to be respected.

:p

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :D

He is from Jersey.....

17. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    if i knew you, and we were at least acquantances, then i would make fun of your height too.:bag:

18. Bah. :meh:

Attached Files:

19. Lunardecay

Lunardecay

Mar 6, 2006
    Well, the guitarist in a band that Im doing some recording for...he is about 6'05" or 6'06"....and he plays a 22-fret 34" or less (its very tiny, even on me...and Im about 5'11".) guitar...
    He looks like he's playing a ukelele (spelling?) to heavy prog.metal, lol.

20. I'm another 6'4" guy, so that would be a no. But I do dwarf my guitar, and match my upright. Most people don't care about your height if you can play.

Has anyone else noticed, where short people may get "teased" about their height (not common, but comments can be made sometimes), tall people just awe others? I get "whoaaa...you're tall" from short girls often, but its not mean. Maybe they are afraid cause I have like 100+ pounds on all these people.