Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short Hair styles......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Petebass, May 12, 2003.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That does it - I'm resigning from my job. Which means I'll be doing the "job interview" thing soon, so I guess I'll have to cut my hair.

Here's the catch, I have to look respectable enough to work in an office, but cool enough to playing bands.

I need help!!!!! All suggestions welcome.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Keep it long, just brush it and get that wave thing to the side going... or the spike up at the front, and the rest forward/down depending which side of your head the hair is on.

That should be ok.

3. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    How long is your hair right now?

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    quite long, it's all one length. If I grab the hair on the front and pull it down over my face, it almost reaches my nipple. I usually come to work in a pony-tail that goes way past my shoulders.

5. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    hmmmm.......are you sure a pony tail is that inappropriate for a new job? There must be a way around cutting it. I'd make sure there is no possible way to get through with long hair before cutting anything off.

I'm not a person who would know much about such things as jobs and short hair.........but still, I'd try to keep it if I were you.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    how 'bout a good high and tight?

7. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Cut it short, with 2" long bangs? Then you'll look respectable for your job and when you're playing live you can spike it up and dye it different colors. Best of both worlds!

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Do what I did.....I got tired of mine a couple weeks ago. Was getting very thin, and showing aging. So, it got shaved. I have done this to varying degrees....first time used the shortest attachment for the clippers. Second time, I used no attachment, and the third time I actually shaved it with the razor. I am back to the clippers with no attachment, and I love it. Seems to be a bit trendy at the moment though....

I'd think this hairstyle would be acceptable in most any enviornment....but I guess it doesn't work well for everyone.

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    try this

<------------------

10. What comes to mind is the kinda Brandon Boyd kinda look - longish, kinda shaggy, looks good enough for a job, but cool enough for stage.

Though I don't know - seems awfully tendy.

Maybe you could use a crew cut (for work)and a wig (for pleasure) ?

11. i think most employers are tolerant of long hair if you keep it looking neat. no matter what gender you are, you have to keep it neat for the job no matter what length. if you cut it, maybe just get it shaped a little. try that before anything drastic. then if the job thing does not pan out, do what you need to do.

12. Who says you have to have it long to look "cool" enough to play in bands. I've always thought that those days were long gone. Most bands I see these days have every thing from shaved head to ponytails. Most of them are featured in the same band.

Maybe it's a geographic thing.

13. I can't offer much help on that topic, I keep my hair braided (keeps it out of the way) and the braid reaches past my belt. Until recently, that was accepted from us UNIX geeks, ehr, I mean gurus. I've ignored the trend toward short hair lately, I'm even something of a freak among the local musicians now...

You have to decide if you want to make a stand (even if a small one) over your hair or not. You can still find employment with your hair, though it may not pay as well as that available without it (then again, it may...). Sorry this isn't a more helpful response...

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Jason Newsted Looked professional and rocked at the same time when he had short hair.

15. Yeah, but he doesn't look so great in colorful headbands with short hair, and Jaco only needed 4 headbands or something like that...
    :p

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    ... the record company! (rolls eyes) I'm getting sick of those blokes.

Also I don't think it's geographic - I should have pointed out that I'm an Accountant by day. It's more of a "conservative profession" think.

Can I run this by you all - Would any of you be at all alarmed if the accountancy firm that looked after your finances and taxes had the guy with long hair looking after your account?

17. Mine does!

18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Whats the difference how you look? Isnt that judging the book by its cover?

19. The notion that you have to have shaggy hair to look rock and roll is, frankly, ridiculous.

I mean, I have Ian Curtis' exact haircut, basically. It's hard to get more rock and roll.

20. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Update - I sent off 5 resume's yesterday and only one has called me so far. Get this - Harbour Music need someone in customer service who is prepared to learn their way around the High Tech department. Apparently I have a broader knowledge than any of the applicants so far and my number crunching experience is working in my favour. It's just down the road from our famous Harbour Bridge.

I won't have to cut my hair after all........ if I get the job that is. Gosh I want this job!!!!! Wish me luck.