Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

short KSD Jazz Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Nov 4, 2005.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I'll have to weigh the thing, but let's just say that thank goodness I've been working out. It's a 5 string ash body, what do you expect?

Construction is fantastic. Real MOP block inlays. Tight neck joint. Smooth finish. Excellent grain on the ash.

The (9v) preamp is better than I thought it would be. Boost and cut, but not sure about which frequencies. I think it is a standard Ken Smith BT preamp circuit. I tested it out with the preamp set flat and alternating between passive and active (flat eq). Other than an obvious increase in volume from the boost, I did not detect any additional coloring of the tone. Fairly transparent, which is ideal in my opinion. The boost and cut for bass and treble were usable over the entire boost and cut. Some preamps seem to boost frequencies beyond any usable levels, but not this one. Lots of different possibilities.

Haven't played the bass enough to get a good idea of the pickups. I did discover (as stated earlier), that I can easilly fix the (neck) pickup misalignment. (It is only noticable because I am obsessive about things. Not a big deal at all. Does not appear to affect the tone at all) I'll have to trim the pickguard a (tiny) bit to make it fit if I move the pickup, but that is ok. It's getting replaced anyway (tort). The pickups definately seemed to have more bottom than other standard jazz pickups, but still gave a good jazz tone. There is some hum when the balance isn't centered, but I am having a bit of rewiring done and will use star grounding to see if that helps out any. If not, it isn't too much hum.

Attached Files:

2. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the interesting review..
    How do you find the thickness, roundness of the neck..
    Is it big and chunky?
    Hope you continue to enjoy.
    Love to see a pic with the new pickguard

3. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I already have the parts to swap out the control plate and add a passive tone control. The preamp is so transparent, I'm not sure if I will need it much, though. If I ever upgrade the preamp, I'll probably do an OBP3 and use a mid control instead of the passive tone control. But plenty of other things I could spend the money on first (better cab/head, etc...)

The neck is definately not a Marcus Miller or Warwick baseball bat. It is flatter on the back than that. Doesn't feel as flat as my old Alvarez 6 string, though. I don't have the largest hands in the world, and the neck is still comfortable for me. The 35" scale doesn't seem to affect the playability that much (my previous basses were 34"). Some difference, but not much.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The 5 strings are 35" scale, right? How do you like playing that?

5. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

little bit of a difference, but I tend to play in 2nd position. I have found that playing (for example) EADG on the 5th fret of the BEAD strings is an easier stretch for me. Easier to stretch across the fingerboard than down the fingerboard.

and FWIW,

the bass weight 10.6 pounds

6. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I do the same thing...sure helps compensate for not having Kareem Abdul-Jabbar size hands!

I put a set of Labella Deep Talkin' flats on mine and love the slick tone.