Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short live bass solo video clip

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Hey,

I was lucky enough to go to Thailand in September this year and play at a week long music festival in Koh Samui with my 6-piece funk band Jasco - we were filmed by the production team but we also made our own little movie too - here's a short slap break I get in one of the tunes, called 'All Directions', hope some of you dig it;

http://www.munkio.com/music/music_videos_jasco1.html

Cheers

Mike

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    very cool Mike! thanks for sharing it.

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    very cool stuff, looks like Jasco is lifting off. Nice site, too.

4. That's cool. I like slap bass :cool:
    I have seen your clips on your website and I know that you are good bassplayer. Just keep going.

Thanks for sharing with us.

-Christian

5. thanks man ! btw your site keeps getting better ( just like your playing )

6. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Keep at it bro. We oughtta hook up sometime.... I'm doing a mini tour with Thunderclap (Newman) or what's left of 'em! :bag: I'm at the Bedford club in Balham tomorrow. Let's have a drink on me! :p

7. Absolutely - probably have to be the new year now - but just drop me an email or PM and we'll sort it out - I've been doing my seasonal drinking duty this week and I'm hurting today...so no more booze for me this week, well until Friday.

Thanks for the nice words boys, glad you like the stuff - hopefully we'll be doing more of this soon! Who knows - I have a hangover today so I'm off to soak me old creaking brain in a nice hot bath!

Keep it funky boys...

M

8. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Like that clip of the 4 finger fretless. Me likee. I'll have to work on that. What wah are you using? BassIQ?

9. Thats the one - EBS BassIQ - sweet pedal that - and thanks for the kind words, I was using the 4 finger thing with my other band a couple of nights ago and it's sounding really solid now - it's a great technique if you can find the time and patience to master it.

M

10. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    You find the ramp makes a difference? My neighbour is a wonderful woodworker so I am going to have him build me a couple of ramps to fit my Sadowsky Metro.

You mention Matt Garrison on your site and that's the first thing I thought of. I'll have to spend more time at you site to see if there is a clip to let me see behind the righ hand, if you know what I mean.

11. Hi Steve - I suggest you try a ramp and see what you think - I've posted about this in the technique forum but since we're here I'll just say that if you use your thumb a lot in this context the bigger surface area to 'support' all of your digits will really help - I tried this picking style on a bass without a ramp today - and it was a beautiful Sei bass, very playable etc - but it's hard to get it sounding consistent. I have seen Matt G himself try it on a bass without a ramp and he finds it hard too - so it's not just us dweebs!

I made a really clear video example of how I do this 4 finger thing - have a look here - if you have any questions just ask:

http://www.munkio.com/music/Victor/4fingerpicking.mov

Mike

12. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Thanks. That's the angle I was looking for.

13. Nice clip, and a very nice site. You know it's weirdl; I couldn't for the life of me figure out what kind of bass that was (from the tone) so I looked closely and then noticed a 1990 Thumb on your site. I play a Thumb 5, and your tone seems night and day different to anything i've ever gotten from my bass. :)

John

14. That might be because I stuck a Shack 3-band EQ in it to replace the MEC circuit that I had in there since the day I bought it - it's got twice the power now and a shed load more tone - plus you can tweak the bass, mid, and treble settings to your own personal taste. The only place I know you can get them is www.seibass.co.uk - there's a shop in Londo called The Gallery where they mod basses and build the gorgeous Sei basses - I will be ordering one as soon as funds allow!

Cheers again

Mike

15. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    very kool solo, i like the tune aswell, funky, i think todays music needs some good old funk again lol

16. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    good stuff, man. keep it up!
    Peace

17. Moog1000

Moog1000

Dec 8, 2005
    UK
    Anyone know how Mike is getting those little triplet-bursts into his slap pattern? I know he's proficient in the dak art of double-thumbing, which I'm (slowly) trying to get to grips with, but I'm not sure how he adds them in. If someone could tab me a little phrase that would be magic..... :)

Moog

18. Hi Moog,

Basically I'm just doing thumb-pluck, thumb-pluck but with a double-pluck instead of a single one so you get a triplet - it sounds a little more fancy but it's pretty straight forward - I don't really do tab - just have a few listens until you get it - I do some double thumbed bits at the end - I'm sorry I can't really be any more specific.

Cheers

M

19. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Nice video Mike. Thanks for sharing.
    You made me wanna go back to visit Thailand again.