Short-Lived Batteries in Active Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Boplicity, Jul 25, 2000.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My Tobias Basic Five is driving me nuts. Unlike my other active basses, this one sucks the life out of its 9-V batterries in a day or two. It has a toggle switch that changes it from active to passive, so I have tried keeping it on passive, but to no avail.

Of course, I unplug my cable every time I'm through playing. I should probably take the bass to a tech, but to save the bucks, I thought I'd ask here first to see if you folks have any ideas what the problem may be and hopefully, have a simple easy solution to the expensive battery replacement problem.

Thanks in advance....Jason Oldsted
  2. Hey Jason.. I read once where some guy was having a similar problem with his Carvin bass, and it turned out that something in the battery compartment was bent slightly, so it was tricking the circuitry into thinking it was still plugged in when it wasn't, and the battery drained. You might want to look in the control cavity and make sure everything's OK. That's the only thing I can think of.. hope it helps.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Thank you, David. I'll take a cold, hard look. I might be looking right at the problem and not even recognize it, but no harm can come from looking. I know the cavity is completely shielded with...what...copper? Anyway, I'll give it a look and see if I can tweek a few things in there without causing an utter disaster.

Jason Oldsted
  4. mr2112

Mar 31, 2000
    Also, check all of the wiring.....make sure that none of them are touching, or even bare spots, where they might be able to touch, other than that....I just don't know! ---Sorry....

"Everybody got mixed feelings...About the function and the form----
    Everybody got to 'elevate', from the norm." ----N.Peart

---Later, MR
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The switching for battery power is usually done at the input jack. If it's not fully enclosed you may be able to see whether the contacts release when you remove the cable.
  6. Bass Cadet

Bass Cadet

Jul 7, 2000
    Ditto the above. One to add (happened to me): if you have a volt-ohm meter check the battery filter capacitors. These are usually the bigger caps that sit across the rails. If one is bad (shorted) it can suck down a battery quickly.

7. TheNightBefore

Jul 7, 2000
    take the battery out when you're done playing