1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short note on Artec pre and active EMG pu's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Antonius, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    Just to save people some confusion and frustration.

I have installed an Artec SE3P-A pre in my Euro Spector and had some trouble getting it to work.

While the Artec is supposed to work with all active and passive pickups, the blend pot (I think it's 250k) does not work well with active EMG pickups. These need a 25k blend pot. With the 250k blend pot that comes with the pre, center position is both pickups. The slightest bit off is either neck or bridge only. Mind you, this does not happen with other pickups, the active EMG's are the only ones that I'm aware of that require a 25k blend pot.

Replacing the pot on the left is what this is all about:
    se3p-a-dim.

So I replaced the balance pot. That should be easy. Here's how I wired the new pot:
    BlendPot.

It wasn't easy. Couldn't get it to work. Center position sounded more or less OK, but volume went down noticably both directions, while sound also got more and more distorted. Turned all the way (either left or right) gave massive distortion (and frustration :bawl:).

Checked the wires, rechecked, scratched my head in confusion :help: . Finally when checking connections with a multimeter I found the cause. The color coding of the input wires from blend pot to the Artec preamp circuit are, shall we say, unconventional. Red = mass, black = signal . Who would have thought of that :ninja:

Everything working fine now.

2. I have no idea what you're talking about (really no good with electrical stuff), but how does it sound now that everything's working?

3. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    For me it's better than the tonepump. That wasn't my cup of tea. I can now apply boost and cut, and I often use both. So that's a plus. The other active basses that I use (older 4 string Spector and Ibanez Musician) appear to have more boost/cut than the Artec, so it feels somewhat less powerful than the preamps that I am familiar with. And I haven't found my way yet with the sweepable mid. At this time I think that would be more useful on a fretless bass. No final verdict yet. And for the price it can't be beat, it sure is an upgrade to the Tonepump for me.

4. churchpark

churchpark

Jun 21, 2007
    Can someone make me a wiring diagram to replace the volume pot on the
    Artec SE3P-A with a PP active/passive pot, replacing the current volume control?