1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Short players

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Shortbassplayer, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Shortbassplayer

Shortbassplayer

Mar 24, 2019
    Basses chose us, we don't chose them.
    I'm 147cm (4ft 10") and manage on a 3/4. Looking for a smaller size, should I go right down to 1/2 or 5/8 ?

Lightweight model suggestions welcome also

2. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    5/8 - there's a lot of threads on the subject now

3. Makes me wonder why no one makes a bass with 3/4 scale and a shorter body, like 1/2. For shorter people (like myself) the scale length isn't a problem. The body height can be a problem.

Shortbassplayer likes this.
  4. RBrownBass likes this.
  5. mjt0229

mjt0229 Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
  6. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I am currently getting a Roth Hybrid 5/8 set up. Nice bass and is just slightly smaller than a 3/4 in all measurements. String length is around 39" which is nice for smaller players.

7. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I'm not drastically short (5' 10"), but it seems like a great idea. You still get your 3/4 scale.

Shortbassplayer and Mike Carr like this.
  8. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    I'm 5' 8". My Czech Ease is a pretty good fit. My normal 3/4 bass is smallish too and is comfortably proportioned.

9. Here in Prague, I've seen Esperanza Spalding, Dave Holland and quite a few other bassists using Czech ease. I guess it's mainly because of overseas travelling. I don't remember seeing EUB used by a famous acoustic jazz bassist, though this should be even more practical for travelling. From that I deduce that Czech eases are still acoustic basses with all there is to it, and that they play great. Don't know about other brands though.

10. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    The bass is designed to be used by someone not as tall as it. now, at 4' 10", you may very well want to look for a 5/8. but -

you'd be surprised how little size has to do with comfort. I own what is considered a "very large" 7/8 by some people, and it's far more playable than other basses i used to own/have played described as 3/4.

i feel like the slope of the shoulders or the angle of the slant on a flat back have more to do with comfort than any other factor - weather thats a fractional size designation, string length, or whatever.

i feel comfortable recommending to even someone at 4'10", forget what you think you want, and play as many basses as you can find. I think more often than not people are surprised at what the end up loving.

every time i go bass shopping i want a violin cornered round back. every time i've come home with a flat back gamba. the ears want what the ears want, i suppose.

11. Yosbank

Yosbank

Feb 6, 2019
    +1
    [​IMG]

groooooove likes this.
  12. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Do what feels the best to you, and hits your sound requirements as closely as you can. Don't let popular opinion sway you. Let your heart be your guide.

13. logdrum

logdrum Formerly known as noelpaz Supporting Member

slightly out of topic but in the Facebook page, "play your bass in fifths, man!", many small basses tend do well tuned in 5ths. There is a 1/4 bass tuned in fifths and using those special Genssler strings. I am setting mine up, actually already did but gave those strings to my buddy from Scandinavia when he was here last month. He also plays the cello. I just got another set from the classifieds.

My 1/2 38.25 is louder than my 3/4. Both are carved but the 1/2 is old.