Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short Power Cable

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adam on bass, Dec 25, 2004.

1. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Where can I get 2-3 feet power cables to go from my amps and effects to my power conditioner? I hate the rolls of extra cable that is in my rack and need to clean it up. I only have a six space rack(full) and I have about 30 feet of power cable(combined) that I have rolled up.

The regular 3 prong style(female-male). I have altered the wall-warts and taken care of those.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i believ GC and sam ash type stores have short power cables from hosa or pro co or some other such company. Ben strange turned me on to this solution IIRC.

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I went to a hardware store and bought a handful of plugs. I dressed all the AC cables the way I wanted, then clipped of the ends and attached the new plugs. You don't want to do this without knowing which wires connect where, however.

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You can make your own. They're no more difficult to make than speaker cable IF you know what you're doing.

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah you can make your own, but IIRC, they are pretty cheap to buy too.

6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Check these out.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-HOS%20YAC407.html

I am assuming (sigh) that everything is in the same rack.

Only 18". I have thought about these for my own rack.

Or is this not what you meant?

If you just need a couple of short extension cords I will be happy to make you what you need for the cost of parts and postage.

:)

Joe.

7. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    nope i dont think that's what he meant. you know how the majority of amps and rack units have detachable power cables that are about 6 feet long similar to the detachabel cables found on computers? These can be a royal pain when you have a rack with a power conditioner as the cables take up a lot of room. I belive hosa or someone else makes replacements for these that are very short (maybe a foot or less). That way you can plug all your rack gear into the power strip with nice short cords.

8. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Oh...so the 'y' thing wouldn't work? The whole thing is only 18" long and replaces two power cords in a rack.

Oh well.

:)

Joe.

9. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
  10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Wal-Mart

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hosa makes 'em in 1'. 1.5', 3', and a "Y" cord that plugs two units into one receptacle. I have a whole slew of the three-footers that I don't use since I got the shorter ones. I haven't seen these at GC, but I find them and local shops. They are truly bitchen.

12. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
  13. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    $5.00 a pop without having to break out the soldering iron and doing math or figuring out what wire is what is cool to me. :)

14. I found the hosa site, but I can't find a place to get them..can you please tell me where?

Thanks

15. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
  16. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    When I did populated my rack a few years ago, I took a number of cables, cut the plugs off and installed new ones that I bought at Home Depot.

I finally got around to finding a source for IEC style female sockets so that I could use the other half of the cord...

Part No. 161-PX0587 from www.mouser.com is one solution...they're about $2.60 each. They also sell a couple right angle styles too...