Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

short question to POD-users (regarding effects)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matthias, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I'm in a process of checking out different preamp, FX and multi-FX setups.
    After reading the POD manual I want to ask if I understood this right that you can use only one effect at the same time?

Thanks, Matthias

2. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Unfortunately yes, and the effects on the pod I find are adequate, nothing special but then again the PODs strength is really as an amp modeller/Di rather than a dedicated effects board.

(a cool bit of gear though)

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Thanks!
    Basically I'm looking for a setup which gives me different clean and overdrive sounds (which I could get with different amp models of the POD ) and the possibility to add an auto-wah or a chorus occasionally - both for playing live and recording. This seems to be possible with the POD but
    1. I'm suspicious of this digital futuristic looking stuff, a bunch of f***ed up pedals looks more friendly to me ;)
    2. if I spend that much money I would also like to have the opportunity to combine several effects

Matthias

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I bought the POD and returned it for the same reasons (among others). For one thing, I wanted to be able to have different effects or no effects available to me at the stomp of a box.

For about the same price as the POD, you can get 2 EBS pedals (which are about the highest quality you'll find) that will expand your effects arsenal immensely!

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I love the Pod as an amp modeller, and use it as my preamp on every gig, but I don't really use many effects. As some else said, it has adequate, but not great effects. If you want a multi-effects processor look somewhere else. The Bass Pod is a amp modeller with a few effects, not a multi-effects processor. It is made to be the preamp going into a power amp or mixer, and doesn't sound good going into a regular bass amp.

6. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I guess there are many disappointed users so maybe I can get a used one for a decent price just for the fun of it... :cool:

Matthias

7. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Ha Ha:D ,

Although one thing I just dont understand is that any time someone gives the POD a bad review its to do with the effects (the same ones also go on about how they were dissapointed and returned it):confused: .

so for the last time.

THE BASS POD IS AN AMP MODELLER/DI (with a few effects thrown in as xtras)...IT IS NOT A DEDICATED EFFECTS UNIT....IT WILL NOT MAKE A CHEAP/BAD BASS MAGICALLY SOUND BETTER (itll just make it sound like a cheap bass going through an expensive amp;) )...

8. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    My concern is the opposite :D
    I don't want to mess up the sound of my setup which I really like (Stingray5, H&K BassBase400, Glockenklang 212).
    I just want a few different sounds. So I guess I don't want a POD - I just wanted to consider all possible options, other options being a 2 channel preamp or a Sansamp PSA-1 together with some pedals or maybe a not-cheapo-multi-FX...

Thanks for your replies!
    Matthias

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It helps to think of the Bass Pod as an amp (or more accurately, a pre-amp), instead of an effects unit. Many people use their favorite effects boxes IN FRONT OF the Bass Pod. The reason is, the Pod is an amp modeller, and you can treat it just as you would treat an amp. The effects on the Pod are ok, but that is not the primary purpose of it, and so many people use their own effects in front. So if you are happy with your amp, and are just looking for an effects unit, then don't buy a Bass Pod, you will be disappointed. If you are looking to get the most versatile sound, and be able to switch between, say, a SVT and a Fender Bassman, or SWR, or Mesa Boogie sound, then a Bass Pod into a power amp/speaker or direct into the board may be for you.

10. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Ahh, a topic I'm at home with. :D

To echo the opinions of a few folk who already posted, the POD is not ment as a multi-effects unit (Although with patience and the ToneTransfer Deep Editing software it can rival ALOT of the multi-effects units I've tried). It's an amp/cabinet modeling system with a intigrated DI that has a few effects thrown in. I don't use many of the effects, just the Danish Chorus. I find switching between different amp heads and eq settings provides enough variety for my style and sound. However, if you really like the POD and still want to use your old stompboxes I say spring for the Bass POD Pro. It has a built-in effects loop. It's deffinatly next on my list of goodies to buy.