Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short review of Mighty Mite neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Minimalist, Dec 2, 2004.

1. After years of playing a P bass with its wide neck, I wanted to try something different. So I ordered a J-Style neck from TNT (guitarpartsonline.com) for $80 +shipping. The transaction was smooth and Ken is nice and easy to deal with.

It’s a vintage style neck. Meaning no reinforcement bars are installed.

I finished the neck with Tru-Oil (nice stuff) and installed the tuners from my MIM P-Bass. The neck seems to be very stable, only a minor truss rod adjustment was necessary. The neck comes with a nut (I’m pretty sure it’s plastic) and the slots are rather high. But I consider this a plus. This way you can file the slots to your liking. The spacing of the slots was perfect. I ordered a brass nut for the neck, but I didn’t install it. The slots are a little bit off compared to the slot that came with the neck. Since I like the spacing on the nut that came installed and it sounds just fine to me, I don’t see a need to change it.

The fretwork is nice, no buzz with an almost straight neck and a medium action. I believe these are medium size frets (not really an expert on fret sizes).

Soundwise the neck is - to my surprise - a little bit beefier but I have only plaid it through a 10 Watts practice amp. The typical dead spot on the G-String on necks with a headstock moved down form the D to the C#. But it’s not too bad. I’m curious what would happen if I install a neck with steel or graphite reinforcement. I may give this a try sometime in the future.

All in all, this is a nice neck and I’m happy with the outcome. For $80 you can’t beat it.

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Did the neck fit into the pocket without the need for adjustments/alteration?

3. I had to do some sanding, but not much. Now it fits better than the original neck.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Good deal. I once had a SWEET bass with a Mighty Mite neck and I loved the way the thing played! I've been looking to replace my AllParts neck that is currently on my Jazz and I've hesitated because i wasn;t sure about the dimensions.