Short review of Mighty Mite neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Minimalist, Dec 2, 2004.

1. After years of playing a P bass with its wide neck, I wanted to try something different. So I ordered a J-Style neck from TNT (guitarpartsonline.com) for $80 +shipping. The transaction was smooth and Ken is nice and easy to deal with.

It’s a vintage style neck. Meaning no reinforcement bars are installed.

I finished the neck with Tru-Oil (nice stuff) and installed the tuners from my MIM P-Bass. The neck seems to be very stable, only a minor truss rod adjustment was necessary. The neck comes with a nut (I’m pretty sure it’s plastic) and the slots are rather high. But I consider this a plus. This way you can file the slots to your liking. The spacing of the slots was perfect. I ordered a brass nut for the neck, but I didn’t install it. The slots are a little bit off compared to the slot that came with the neck. Since I like the spacing on the nut that came installed and it sounds just fine to me, I don’t see a need to change it.

The fretwork is nice, no buzz with an almost straight neck and a medium action. I believe these are medium size frets (not really an expert on fret sizes).

Soundwise the neck is - to my surprise - a little bit beefier but I have only plaid it through a 10 Watts practice amp. The typical dead spot on the G-String on necks with a headstock moved down form the D to the C#. But it’s not too bad. I’m curious what would happen if I install a neck with steel or graphite reinforcement. I may give this a try sometime in the future.

All in all, this is a nice neck and I’m happy with the outcome. For $80 you can’t beat it.

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Did the neck fit into the pocket without the need for adjustments/alteration?

3. I had to do some sanding, but not much. Now it fits better than the original neck.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Good deal. I once had a SWEET bass with a Mighty Mite neck and I loved the way the thing played! I've been looking to replace my AllParts neck that is currently on my Jazz and I've hesitated because i wasn;t sure about the dimensions.