1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short scale 5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by unclebass, Jun 1, 2014.

1. unclebass

unclebass

Dec 17, 2012
    Thinking about making a bass out of a guitar, looking for 5 string set for short scale. Thinking I can use BEAD strings and tune them to EADG. Should work with the shortened approximately 25" scale. Are there any 30" scale 5 string bass sets available for BEADG tuning?

2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I would actually recommend you grab a 7 string guitar set and use the bottom four strings.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Isn't that gonna be an octave higher?

lz4005 likes this.
  4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Short scale B strings are really thumpy.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I suggest you read up on what happens when you try to wind the thick part of a .120 or greater string around a tuner.

Flad likes this.
  6. unclebass

unclebass

Dec 17, 2012
    That's why I want a short scale B string. I don't want to wrap the fat part of any string around a tuner. I would mount the bridge in the appropriate spot, but run the strings through a tail piece mounted at the very end of the guitar body, taking up the excess string length. This would keep the fat part of the string from meeting the tuning post. Anything longer than short scale strings will be too long to be able to use for this project.

7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I've seen that tail piece idea done on a few 30" basses so they could use 34" strings.
    There was a thread about a 6 string 30" bass a while back where the strings wrapped around the rear edge of the body and the ball ends hooked into some kind of pegs or keyholes on the back of the instrument.

8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Length from Ball End to B-String tuning post?

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    try these guys ... www.juststrings.com

10. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    So it isnt even made yet?

Yes there are many sets available. I have some that I have had custom made for Short Scale basses and even some sub-short scale basses.

If you are making the bass from scratch, I suggest making it with a reverse headstock (B-String furthest from the Nut), like the Reverse Jaguar basses... Those basses can use Long Scale strings since the distance from Ball End to Tuning Post is so long.

Ultimately it is going to depend on the measurement from Ball End to Nut and Ball End to Tuning post:

Please reference this article
    http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Fi...ng-length-for-your-electric-bass_ep_46-1.html

There really arent any pre-made sets available in a short scale 5-string. But certain specialty shops (well, I am the only one I know of) have Short Scale sets for 5-String made for them...

I regularly stock the following in Short Scale (32" winding length Ball to Silk / Taper)

La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats, Black Nylon Tapewound, White Nylon Tapewound, Super Steps... The rest of the La Bella product line can be special ordered in Short Scale (or just about any other string length by request). Fodera Nickel Plated Steel Round Wound (Round Core).

11. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Oops, you're right. I quickly read it while running out the door to a gig and thought "piccolo bass" with that scale.

12. unclebass

unclebass

Dec 17, 2012
    Thanks for all the info. I will be looking for a used guitar, hoping to find something cheap and unique. May be several weeks down the road, but once I see what I have to work with, will definitely be getting with bassstringsonline.com.