1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Short-scale 6 strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mudvayne4ever, May 5, 2002.

1. Mudvayne4ever

Mudvayne4ever Guest

May 2, 2001
    Conowingo,Maryland
    Does anyone know of any companies that make 30"-32" scale 6 strings with active p/u's and electronics? Any info would be grately appreciated. Luke

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Nope. None that I can think of.

I don't think you are going to have too much luck here, of course I could be wrong. I think there would be serious B string issues on that short of a scale.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

You can get an Alembic Series I in a 6 string 30" or 32" scale.

I have played a 30" Series I 6, and it had an awesome B string.

Of course, it listed for $6000+, so I would expect it to be killer.

There are no mid or low priced options in short scale 5+ string basses. Only custom builders offer such a thing.

4. Mudvayne4ever

Mudvayne4ever Guest

May 2, 2001
    Conowingo,Maryland
    Thanks for the info,I guess I'll be settling for the 35" scales instead. = ) Anyone have any comments on the Peavey Cirrus 6 string,or know of any decent 6'ers for about $1,200-$1,300? I have a Cirrus 5 which I love but that extra string has been calling my name for a while. Thanx again. Luke

5. embellisher

Well, I own a Cirrus 6, so I can help you there. Best 6 under $3000, at least that I have played, anyway.

Very even string to string response, and a killer B string. And as you know from your 5 string, the electronics are very versatile.

Somebody on the Forum has a redwood Cirrus 6 for sale, at a very low price. Check the Classifieds forum.

6. Mudvayne4ever

Mudvayne4ever Guest

May 2, 2001
    Conowingo,Maryland
    I think you just convinced me to go with the Cirrus 6. = ) It's been in the back of my mind,but I think I'll act on it now. Thanks again,Luke

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Actually, I was out at the USA Custom site last night, and noticed they offer a 30" scale six string body and neck...

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I know that Elrick makes 6 string piccolo basses with a 29" to 32" scale, so I am sure he could make you a regular bass with that scale length, too.

And, Michael Dolan has made 33" scale 5 string basses with good b strings.

I'm sure you could contact any quality luthier and talk to them about a shorter scale 6 string bass. But, there certainly isn't one you are going to find off the rack (unless you want to look for a Danelectro 6 string baritone guitar--I think those have a 28", or 29" scale).

9. embellisher

Cool.:cool: I'm sure that you will love it as much as I love mine. After all, you love your 5, right?

I can't resist, here are a couple of pics of mine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]