Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Short-scale 6 strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mudvayne4ever, May 5, 2002.

1. Mudvayne4ever

Mudvayne4ever Guest

May 2, 2001
    Conowingo,Maryland
    Does anyone know of any companies that make 30"-32" scale 6 strings with active p/u's and electronics? Any info would be grately appreciated. Luke

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Nope. None that I can think of.

I don't think you are going to have too much luck here, of course I could be wrong. I think there would be serious B string issues on that short of a scale.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You can get an Alembic Series I in a 6 string 30" or 32" scale.

I have played a 30" Series I 6, and it had an awesome B string.

Of course, it listed for $6000+, so I would expect it to be killer.

There are no mid or low priced options in short scale 5+ string basses. Only custom builders offer such a thing.

4. Mudvayne4ever

Mudvayne4ever Guest

May 2, 2001
    Conowingo,Maryland
    Thanks for the info,I guess I'll be settling for the 35" scales instead. = ) Anyone have any comments on the Peavey Cirrus 6 string,or know of any decent 6'ers for about $1,200-$1,300? I have a Cirrus 5 which I love but that extra string has been calling my name for a while. Thanx again. Luke

5. embellisher

Well, I own a Cirrus 6, so I can help you there. Best 6 under $3000, at least that I have played, anyway.

Very even string to string response, and a killer B string. And as you know from your 5 string, the electronics are very versatile.

Somebody on the Forum has a redwood Cirrus 6 for sale, at a very low price. Check the Classifieds forum.

6. Mudvayne4ever

Mudvayne4ever Guest

May 2, 2001
    Conowingo,Maryland
    I think you just convinced me to go with the Cirrus 6. = ) It's been in the back of my mind,but I think I'll act on it now. Thanks again,Luke

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Actually, I was out at the USA Custom site last night, and noticed they offer a 30" scale six string body and neck...

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I know that Elrick makes 6 string piccolo basses with a 29" to 32" scale, so I am sure he could make you a regular bass with that scale length, too.

And, Michael Dolan has made 33" scale 5 string basses with good b strings.

I'm sure you could contact any quality luthier and talk to them about a shorter scale 6 string bass. But, there certainly isn't one you are going to find off the rack (unless you want to look for a Danelectro 6 string baritone guitar--I think those have a 28", or 29" scale).

9. embellisher

Cool.:cool: I'm sure that you will love it as much as I love mine. After all, you love your 5, right?

I can't resist, here are a couple of pics of mine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]