Short Scale 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by therealting, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Last night I was practicing on my six string when I started getting the wrist pains I have been getting recently in my left arm.

After resting the arm for a little while, I decided to try dropping the tuning by a whole tone, and put an old classical guitar capo at the second fret. It is so much easier on my wrists that I wondered whether there are any 6-string basses available with shorter scales. The tone and right hand feel were also different, but not altogether bad (just that the dots were a bit confusing).

With the 34" capoed at the second fret, it was roughly a 30" scale I think.

Does anyone know of any stock instruments like that, or would I have to go custom?

2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You can always go baritone guitar. 28ish scale will work nice. If not, you need to go custom.
  3. i would stop playing for a few days...that may seem hard but for those days try to avoid using your left arm....
    I think this will work....if you dont do something your going to get yourself hurt...
  4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

When it comes to playing bass, if it hurts STOP! And Dont re-start... If the pain goes away, it will just come back, its not temporary...

I would go with a Custom bass... Try Nordstrand, if you have the money he can build you anything you want...
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There are no production short scale sixers. You will have to go custom. Alembic builds them, Nordstrand does, and probably most other custom builders will, if you have the $$$. I played an Alembic with a 30.75"(or 30.5, I can't remember) scale and it was surprisingly good. Of course, this was a Series I, and probably set the owner back $5000+. For that price, it better be good!