1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short Scale Advice: EB-0, Longhorn, or something from SX?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ShaunYam, Mar 18, 2009.

1. ShaunYam

ShaunYam

Mar 18, 2009
    Hey, I'm looking for a better short scale to replace my less than stellar Squier Bronco. I finally had the chance to check out a Danelectro '63 reissue but it sounded too much like a guitar. I must have read hundreds of short scale threads on here looking for advice but I'm still having trouble deciding which bass to seek out. I tracked down a Korean Danelectro longhorn for $550 Canadian, but ideally I'd like to spend a bit less. Are the SX basses any good? Would the Epiphone EB-0 be a step up from the Bronco, or more of the same? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you search on "essex" you'll find massive reams of posts about SX basses. The Epiphone EB-0 is not a great choice--it has two kinds of fans: emo kids who want an SG like their guitarist buddy, and older players who remember liking Jack Bruce but don't want to spend the $$ on a real vintage Gibson. If you don't fall into one of those categories, take a pass on the Epiphone.

3. I have a short scale Essex Jazz Fretless I really like. For the money, they are amazing basses, but not without their quirks in that price range. Their are some others in that price range you may also want to checkout such as the Dean short scales or the ones in the Hamer-Slammer line.
    If you spend some more money, you can get the Epiphone Allen Woody bass, which is a pretty good bass if you like lots of low-end. It's about $499 USD. If you really want to spend money for custom shorty then check ouit www.landingbass.com or www.hummingbirdbass.com for the higher end stuff.

FG

4. What's wrong with the Bronco? Mine plays perfectly well. I just threw an EMG in it when the pickup started to sound bad; now it's a sweet little short scale.

El Pelusa likes this.
  5. Just bought an EPI EB-0 and for the money I was very impressed. Its pretty, all in all quite well constructed and sounds pretty decent for what it is. Its a step up from all the Bronco that was next to it in the store, but you know how that goes. I strung it with some flats and it has a really cool muddy sound, very typical short scale. I'd say quality wise mine is the best bass I've bought in that price range, but I am only comparing it to Squiers, usually used ones, sos take it for what its worth.

Edit: Just read bongos comments. OUCH! I admit I bought it for nostalgia and I wasn't expecting a real Gibson, but for a fun little bass its not bad, and playing SWLABR or Badge on it is pretty cool. EMO KID??!! Bleck.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    ^^^ Sorry man. :p I'm just about getting to the point where I'm thinking of buying basses nostalgically too.

7. GOLGOTHAN

GOLGOTHAN Banned

Feb 27, 2009
    i have a fender music master bass. not favorite sounding bass (stock pickup) but it plays really nice. i think the bronco is just about the same thing (diff wood/pickup im sure) what don't you like about your bronco?

8. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    What's a hummingbird bass ? That link does not work and did find one on google.

9. Alienation

Alienation

Jul 29, 2008
    Midsouth
    You may want to consider Fender Mustangs, a good middle of the road choice. :bassist:

Axstar likes this.
  10. If you can afford a used one, I'd recommend trying out a Fender Mustang bass.

11. Damn it I swear your post wasn't there when I first came to this thread!

12. lowselfesteem

lowselfesteem

Jun 24, 2007
    michigan
    what about some variation of beatle bass?

13. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I love my Gibson SG bass. One of the best short scales I have played. Birdsong basses are also excellent. However, for either bass, you're looking at $700 + used or more.

If you like the feel of the Fender and want a better sound, I would encourage you to look for an old Squire Bullet Bass. These came in 30 inch scale (B-30) with split pickups and actually sound pretty good. Used price is usually around $300.

14. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    A Mustang should feel just about identical to your Bronco (same shape and size body and neck), but sound a lot beefier. I play a Mustang nearly half the time and wouldn't give it up for the world. It's sort of like a P bass, but with more punch. I've had no problem with E string weakness that some people complain about in shorties.

I owned a vintage Gibson EBO for a while and like its incredible light weight, but found the scale a bit too confining - the bridge is so far out toward the butt of the bass that you have to reach a long way across with your left hand to get to the 12th fret. A happier solution for me was a Guild JSII (the one that looks like an SG). The bridge is located farther up the body, so the scale doesn't feel as short (the reach to the lower frets is similar to a long or 32" bass).

Somebody mentioned the Allen Woody Epi short scale. I have one I am about to let go of (I just have too many basses and too little $$$). It's a real value if you want a great semihollow bass for a low price. I've had nothing but compliments whenever I've played mine and seriously resisted parting with it. You couldn't go wrong with an Allen Woody.

15. Toshiro

Toshiro

Jul 21, 2004
    The -Squier- Bullet Bass was 34" scale only. The Fender version which predated the Squier was made in two versions, 30" and 34".

I don't know how many shorty Bullets Fender made, but they seem to be pretty rare.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but if I'd also look at the Squier Musicmaster basses that were issued in the mid-late 80's. Sort of a cross between a Mustang bass and a Musicmaster bass. I wish I still had mine.

16. ShaunYam

ShaunYam

Mar 18, 2009
    The Bronco is a blast to play and I love the smooth unfinished neck but the low end on mine sounds dead and toneless. I've thought about putting in a new pickup, but I don't really want to put cash into a bass that's so incredibly boring looking.
    To the Bronco-lovers above - do you find new pickups make a big difference? Maybe I'll look into switching the pickup and the pick guard to fancy it up a bit.

I'd love to have a custom bass, or a mustang, but I'm hoping to spend under $500 unless I find something mind blowing. I might just end up waiting until the new dead on longhorn reissue ships this June and hope it isn't as questionable as the '63.

17. Bongo, no worries. Nostalgia gets us all. Truth was I had a couple hunj in my pocket and a need to buy something. Just happens I liked it. Back to the matter, sounds like not many others are recommending the EB-0, and of course the Gibson SG or a real EB-3 would be better, but not really in the same price range as the OP was asking. If you like the bass but not the sound, considering the monetary worth of the bass it can't hurt to try some modding and see where it gets you. Its not like you'd be chopping up a rare collector's instrument, so have some fun with it.

18. Alienation

Alienation

Jul 29, 2008
    Midsouth
    You mentioned SX shortscales, they get good reviews.

I have a couple of full scale SX basses and I can confirm the bang for the buck factor and minimal outlay of $$$$.

19. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California

20. kelleysdad

kelleysdad

Dec 12, 2007
    I put EMG P Bass pickups on my Mustang. It sounds killer. With that and a cool pick guard and your bronco won't be boring anymore!!