1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short scale B string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rxtech, Feb 25, 2008.

1. rxtech

rxtech

Jul 31, 2006
    Does such a beast exist for a 30" scale bass?

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Perplexing indeed - to have an E string at normal tension you'd be looking at a standard B string gauge. Stands to reason that if you want reasonable tension for a short scale B then a gauge appropriate for F# might be the solution.

I haven't done the math, so don't beat me up for the suggestion (though I have done the math for good tension for E on a 30" scale).

3. D'Addario has stuff up to a .145, but a low F# might be a decent choice. You might also run into problems if the bridge can't accept such a thick string AND problems with the tuning peg having problems with fitting the wide diameter.

4. rxtech

rxtech

Jul 31, 2006
    Do you mean that the string would be tuned to F# so that the tension would be best?

5. They mean if you took the string you'd use for F# on a normal scale bass but tuned it up to B on a short scale, it would probably be appropriate.

Although I don't think there would be any problem with a .130 or probably even less, assuming you use lighter guages for the other strings too.

6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Birdsong makes a great shortscale 5er. Check out their website.