Short Scale Bass and Respect

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by greekbassist, Jan 17, 2006.

1. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    Hi Everyone,

I own two basses and Ibanez SG Four string and Custom Made Landing Bass that is short scale.

Okay, here is the situation, lately, I have been playing my short scale length bass because about three years ago I injured my left neck, shoulder and now suffer from a nerve impingment.

The problem is when I am playing my Ibanez SG my left neck, shoulder HURT SO BAD.

I hold the bass correctly but it is the reach (not with the fingers) but holding my arm up high (I hope that make sense)

However, when I play my Landing Custom Short Scale I don't have to hold my arm up so high just to reach a G string on the third fret, 4th string.

This landing bass has EMG-DC40 active pick-ups and can hold it's own in any band. For a short scale bass this thing can hold it's own...This bass is made for professionals.

I know this may sound stupid, but I am wondering if playing a short scale bass will make me seem like a wimpy bassist.

Thanks Greekbassist
  2. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    I think we all respect the groove first. Then, maybe the tone, maybe ... but always the time.
  3. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    Thanks BassChuck!

Actually this Landing Bass has a BIG tone for a little Bass!!

Your right it is all about the groove....

Thanks again!
  4. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    no way man, playing a shortscale bass doesnt diminish respect at all in my book.

Stanley Clarke is known for playing short scale Alembics, and I doubt anyone would think of him as a 'wimpy bassist'...
    in fact. here he is...
  5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Nobody in the audience, except any bass players, will notice. As long as the bass dosen't look out of place the scale dosen't matter.

If it sounds good, it is good!
  6. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    My opinion:

- Only other bass players will notice.

- If I were in the audience, , far from "losing respect" for you, I'd be quite intrigued (especially if your tone is good), and would try to seek you out afterward to ask about it.

I say use the short scale, and enjoy....
  7. AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    It's not wimpy at all! ;) You should play the bass that suits you the best and don't give a damn about what people say.
    Trust your instincts! :)
  8. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    Wow thanks everyone for the cool words of encouragement!!!
    It really means alot :D

In all reality my tone on my short scale is very big and round...I almost like it better then my Ibanez SG...

Thanks again!
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    A good friend of mine plays bass in a '60s/'70s Rock-Pop band...he is a keyboardist who plays guitar who plays drums who plays bass; in other words, bass is his 'least' instrument.

He brings 2 basses to gigs-
    Pre-CBS Fender P & a Danelectro Longhorn...he admits he switches to the short scale bass on account of 2nd & 3rd set fatigue. He sez, "...yes, I am a wimp".

Nevertheless, on either bass, played with a pick thru his '60s-era Vox difference to my ears.
  10. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    If it sounds good, it doesn't matter. Don't worry what other people think. Most people don't know anything anyway. Another bass player may, but that's it.

I used to spend time and money trying to be sure I was "hip, cool and up-to-date" with the "best" gear. What a waste. Use what you need to get the right sound for you and your gigs. Nothing else matters.
  11. Any body here think that Mike Watt is wimpy?

Playing an instrument that makes you look cool, but doesn't allow you to play well or stay healthy is just ridiculous.
    Its ok to suffer for your art, but not to be in pain.
  12. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006

WELL SAID and again thanks to everyone for their supportive replies.
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Long scale, short scale, whatever...we're all wimps for playing the 'gadget bass'.

14. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    The only thing that's wimpy in my book is if people change what they like or need because of what others might think.

Short scale basses can be awesome. And what's Most important is what's in the heart of the person playing them.

Play your short scales with Pride and Joy.

By the way, I'm a Landing owner, too. It's my only pro instrument. I held out for a long time gigging with it, because it's super special and has some sentimental value, but I recently crossed over that threshold. That Landing Bass is incredible at the gigs.

15. Everyone here is wimpy on bass!!!

Hunt down a suitable animal with horns, turn it into a Viking helmet, and play the tuba...

......nobody calls a crazy person "wimpy"
  16. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    [QUOTEPlay your short scales with Pride and Joy.][/QUOTE]

Thanks you SBassman4x! I will play it with LOTS of PRIDE!!!

AWESOME, you own a Landing Bass? :hyper: Wow, this made my day, especially good to know a fellow bass player who also plays pro plays a Landing Bass as well.

There are awesome basses, especially if one is looking for a short scale length bass with KILLER tone!!

I own the L2 landing bass it is all black...It's on Jimmy's website!!!

I hope to one day play out my Landing bass as well... Your post as well as the rest gives me great encouragement!!
  17. originally played fender jazz '64-'66. jazz got stolen and i bought a pelham green/torquoise gibson sg style ebo w/30.5" scale neck. the bass kicked ass. hell back then we didn't even have 5 string or six string basses. oh yeah, there was the fender VI which was really a guitar w/no real bass. i sold that ebo 3 years ago on ebay. missed it so much i bought an epiphone. nothing wimpy about shorter scale. hell, if you ever played an old ebo you wouldn't even understand why some bassists say they need a 5 string for deep lows.
  18. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    Wow, kingmacaw an old ebo, huh? AWESOME, that bass must of been a gem,plus not to mention your 64-66 fender jazz :)
  19. Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    Another famous Short Scale player, Les Claypool's first Carl Thomson bass was a shortie and he still uses it in shows.

JimK - Do you know if your friend did anything to his Danelectro Longhorn, or does he just use it factory for his gigs? I have a Longhorn myself and until I have the money to upgrade, I plan on gigging with it. I've always been pleasently surprised with the sound I can get from that little bass. It's not terribly versitile but with a good EQ I can usually get some variety.
  20. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Short scale basses are still basses and as long as it feels good and gives you a sound you like then your playing the right instrument.

As previously mentioned I doubt anyone other than another bass player would ever notice and you'll likely draw attention from players curious about your bass.

Let us know how you like it gigging.